Mic Into Camera Incompatibility

Let me start off by saying I'm a total amateur just starting out, and my gear reflects that. Now that that's out of the way, none of you are allowed to snicker.

I have a Kodak Zi8, and though I got a Sony condenser mic to use instead of the built-in mic, I need a mic setup that allows me some distance from my camera. I have a lot of audio recording equipment and thought I would put some of it to use.

So I first took a regular vocal mic and hooked it up. I used a cable that's XLR on one end and 1/4" on the other, but my Kodak only has an 1/8" input. So I put the 1/4" cable end through an adapter and then plugged in the 1/8" into my camera.

So it should have worked, right? It didn't. Instead, I got a dull hum in my recording that I otherwise hadn't experienced. I even tested the cable and the mic on my recording equipment without the camera, and all worked fine. Then I plugged my adapter into some headphones into my computer, and that worked too.

Next I took my ten track mixer and plugged two mics into it, one being the same vocal mic I was using earlier, the other being a condenser mic that requires phantom power (the mixer has phantom). I ran a cable out of the mixer into my camera, doing the same thing with the adapter to make the 1/4" fit in my 1/8" input. The mixer turned on, I could hear the mics working through headphones, but when I recorded using my camera, I got the same dull hum and no mic activity at all.

My guess as to why this is happening would be because of the mics I'm using, though I thought I would bypass that problem by using my mixer. Can anyone enlighten me?

Yeah I was afraid of that.

So here is the camera, and I'm using this mic with this mixer. I'm running a cable out of the mixer into my camera, and the cable is 1/4" on both ends. Since my camera's mic input is 1/8" I'm using this adapter to connect the cable.

My problem is that the camera isn't picking any of it up, even though I know that everything works on the mixer side of things.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay - the mic is a dynamic mic, so is not much good for capturing sounds beyond about 6" to 12" max, unless it's really loud (screaming, gunshots, etc.). You need a condenser mic. Most condenser mics require phantom power.

This is the type of adapter to use, mono 1/4" to stereo minipin:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408121-REG/Hosa_Technology_GMP_386_Audio_Cable_1_4_TS.html

You may want to try this one on the mic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589872-REG/Pearstone_8111240_LMT100_Low_to.html

If you're using the mixer you should use the TAPE OUT with this type of adapter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160638-REG/Hosa_Technology_CMR_210_Stereo_Mini_Male_to.html

You may want to consider a mic like the Rode VideoMic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757227-REG/Rode_VideoMic_Booming_Kit.html

Something like the Rode would definitely make it easier. I was more going for things I already had lying around, and one of the things was a condenser mic like this one, which I also tried out going through the mixer and then into my camera and still got nothing.

I appreciate your suggestions, but I'm still trying to figure out why what I was doing resulted in no sound at all. You're saying to use the TAPE OUT outputs on the mixer and go straight into the camera. What I was doing was using the MASTER OUT and going straight into the camera, and my mics wouldn't work at all.

And I know, a dynamic isn't what I want really, but I was just trying it out to see if my mixer setup would work at all with my camera, and for some reason it didn't.

Fix the problem with the adapter, you're plugging a mono adapter into a stereo input. That's step one; see if that takes care of the problem. Also check the cables you're using, that's another potential problem.

I made a rookie mistake and linked you to a mono adapter when in reality I'm using a stereo one. Sorry about that. Also, the cables are good.

Is there a possibility that my camera's mic input just can't take that much power or something? I can't see why even a dynamic mic that requires no power wouldn't be able to link directly into the camera when something like this works just fine.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out.

It's the hum that's the issue, so that's what you have to track down. There's also a possibility that the camera is FUBAR.

Tracking down issues like this is a PITA, but it's also a learning experience. (Keep telling yourself that when you're ready to throw everything into the sewer...)

Last edited:
Back