Member's CRSFF reviews

As any of you know, my film "Sometimes They Come Loose" was an official entry in The Chicago Really Short Film Festival. A few Sonnyboo shorts and CootDog's "Scarred For Life" were also entries.

Erik Childress of The Chicago Film Critics association was kind enough to review all the entries.

A few quotes are in order:

On Sonnyboo's "Elevator"

Cute is the best way to describe this odd little tale with a simple setup and not-as-funny punchline. A man waits for an elevator and gets a shock as to what prevents him from getting on. Kinda funny the first time. Mildly amusing the second time. The punchline is telegraphed and obvious. So much more creativity could have been put into what awaits him on the elevator, but instead comes off like a weak Benny Hill bridge skit. (2.5/5)

On Sonnyboo's "Line of Masculinity"

Some very funny dialogue is accentuated by the perfectly droll timing of leads Jack Hourigan and Colleen Doyle. Finally, a woman putting the old-men-as-sexy idea down, applying an appropriate witticism to Sean Connery. (4/5)

On Sonnyboo's "The Manhattan Project"

Poop jokes are a comedy staple and will never go away. But all comedians will tell you that the reaction is always funnier than the action itself and its funny to look upon the painful gaze of an office worker sharing a bathroom with a nickname derived from his constant dropping of fat men and little boys off at the pool. The first half is quite funny in that juvenile sensibility we can’t help but let out from time to time. The middle mostly repeats itself and the punchline isn’t nearly as creative as the possibility of the office Oppenheimer somehow managing to break every one of the Cider House Rules posted inside. (2.5/5)

On Sonnyboo collaborator Jon Osbeck's "Mann in The Slip"

Neal Havener’s pianola score contributes wonderfully to Jon Osbeck’s classical sense of wackiness ensuing and you can never go wrong with substituting out real voices for chipmunk-esque communication. (4/5)

On CootDog's "Scarred For Life"

I don’t know how many different ways we can hear the stories from Iraq. But I’ll be damned if I don’t want to give every soldier over there the opportunity to tell theirs. This is just one of them, an overview experience, interspersed with images from the battlefront that serves as a great reminder what these brave young men and women are doing, no matter what they perceive it as. (3.5/5)

And finally, on "Sometimes They Come Loose"

A solid start of something, if a little overboard on the vomitous fluids, we’re certainly intrigued and left wanting more. (3/5)

Just wanted to post this and congratulate all the members on the review.

Poke

Last edited:
Back