computer-related Maybe someone knows . . .

I recently got a Smart Keyboard, for my ipad, as a gift--the overpriced one with the little track-pad and the backlit keyboard. And I love the thing. It turns the ipad into a compact laptop and so far as worked well. Until...

I decided to make, a few days ago, a keto-friendly fudge, and had the ipad on the counter, reading the recipe, and when I was adding the vanilla extract I knocked over the little bottle and it spilled on my keyboard.

I tried to dry it out, and it still works ok, but the space key, and the "n" and the "m," are now a little sticky, and they make a kind of sticky sound now instead of the satisfying little pop sound all the other keys make. And, as a consequence, I love the keyboard less, and keep thinking, whenever I write something: why oh why oh why did I have the thing on that crowded counter?

Anyway, here is my question. Is it possible to somehow take the keys off, and somehow clean under them? I'm tempted to try, but it still works fine, and it is mostly the noise and the slightly slow action that bothers me. And I'm afraid If I start prying I will wreck the whole thing.

Last edited:
Wow. I don't have the answer - I wish I did - but I'm reminded of the time last year when I ate a bowl of cereal while working on my computer. And yeah, I was literally crying over spilled milk when I ruined the computer.

Ah god. I empathize. But still, it's a kind of amusing twist on the saying. Maybe you can use it in a scene in a script some day :).

Last edited:
I don't want to be responsible for any issues here but what you need is the high strength alcohol sold at drug stores, there's always the 70% rubbing alcohol, then there's one in the 9x% range. It will dry out without leaving any residue. And what you'll want to do is make sure it is off/unplugged whatever, pour (yikes) it on the keys, shake it up, press the keys, do it again, and then place it upside down on some paper towels to drain, and let it FULLY dry out before powering up.

Wow. I knew someone, among all you smart people, would have an idea. I don't know if I have the courage to try this, indietalk, (and if I do and it goes bad, I of course will take full responsibility :) ) but I will certainly think about it, if it continues to bug me and if it doesn't (plan a) somehow fix itself. Thanks :)

Last edited:
As an expert beer spiller I can attest, but for the faint of heart, there's something called electric contact cleaner that is made for this, and you can put the spray nozzle in the gaps and blast it, and it leaves zero residue. It evaporates.

I suppose I should have suggested the contact cleaner 1st first lol, I just usually have the alcohol around and not that spray.

Ah . . . Thanks for the additional update. I should have guesed: WD40 fixes everything :). (Along with crazy glue, vice grips, and duck tape.)

Or maybe I'll run it through the dishwasher?

Last edited:
Well that's not regular WD so be careful lol!

I don't want to be responsible for any issues here but what you need is the high strength alcohol sold at drug stores, there's always the 70% rubbing alcohol, then there's one in the 9x% range. It will dry out without leaving any residue. And what you'll want to do is make sure it is off/unplugged whatever, pour (yikes) it on the keys, shake it up, press the keys, do it again, and then place it upside down on some paper towels to drain, and let it FULLY dry out before powering up.
Yep, this. Perfectly safe.

Here's a great article on removing key caps for both standard keyboards as well as laptop keys.
removing key caps
I've done this before and it works exactly the way the article states it. You shouldn't have a problem..

I've worked with people who swear you can submerge a keyboard in water to clean it then hang it up to dry and it will work. I've never tried it though and I don't think I ever will. :)

Here's a great article on removing key caps for both standard keyboards as well as laptop keys.
removing key caps
I've done this before and it works exactly the way the article states it. You shouldn't have a problem..

I've worked with people who swear you can submerge a keyboard in water to clean it then hang it up to dry and it will work. I've never tried it though and I don't think I ever will. :)
You can submerge electronics in water to clean them, but the thing is that you really have to dry them for a long time before restoring power. I sometimes dunk an old keyboard into the sink, spray it with the nozzle, and then 3-4 days sitting out in the sun.

Where it's really at, if your a comitted typist, is mechanical keyboards with the MX switches, cherry or brown switches IMHO. They are made for easy removal and cleaning or replacement of individual keys. Also typing feels more crisp. I bought one once, and never went back.

To the other prolific writers out there, this is my once quarterly plug for MX style keyboards. At least try one out for a week. They are around 100 buck now, and if you type thousands of words a day, it's totally worth it for the solid and responsive feel these keys have.

a quick 45 second rundown that will explain the basics of at least the cherry switch types. I know this seems really niche, but if you spend hours a day typing, it kind of makes sense to really dial in your keyboard, considering how cheap and easy it is.

Thanks, team of experts :). It is so counter intuitive to me. I had kind of assumed that anything electronic will be frazzled by anything liquid. Cool to learn stuff.

And Nate, i really like the idea of being a keyboard connoisseur.

Most anything electronic that gets wet while OFF and dries out OFF is safe from shorting. Water is not recommended for keyboards as most have those films inside and water makes them cling together and it can take literally months for that part to dry out. The high % alcohol works and dries out. I also don't pop keys out unless necessary as all this plastic these days, easy to break something.

Back