Making Flakes Known

The industry is full of them.

They yes you to death. But, when it comes time to show up for a rehearsal or a shooting day, they punk out on you.

What's a producer to do?

1. Call their last few productions and ask about their attendance record and attitude.

2. Spend time to interview them in person to really know them.

3. Google them for chatter. What can you find on the Internet about them.

4. Ask them to attend rehearsals before the shoot. If they pull no shows for the rehearsal, what are the chances they will attend the shoot?

This is how I nailed some flakes before shooting days.

The ones that got beyond this, I found replacements for just before shooting days because I always keep backups on file.

Anyone else want to share their best practices in identifying flakes before it's too later and a flake kills a shooting day?

On my latest production (a feature), I eliminated this problem in two ways -- first I hired strictly on the process of recommendation. Everyone is this picture was recommended to me by somebody I trust, assuring me that they would not just show up when and where they're supposed to be, but take their job seriously. Secondly, I paid people. The amount I paid them was quite miniscule -- less than minumum wage. But I do think that even this small amount made a difference, for the better.

Dude, I've had plenty of productions that went afoul because somebody didn't follow through on their commitment. It's really frustrating. I don't think they understand how much time and energy you've invested, prior to shooting.

I can honestly say that by only working with people who've been recommended by someone I trust, the problem of flakes is a thing of the past for me.

I use alot of the same people over and over who consistently produce results... and they bring people they know into the fold.

I built them up by asking the ones back who are helpful. It took a couple of years... but now we're pretty solid.

After a first audition, you take your 'picks' and do a little research on them like you suggested (just don't contact other production companies unless you know them). Find profiles, videos, anything. I wouldn't spend too much time on that though.

Then you have them come in for a callback. At the callback, ask them a few questions, try and use your best judgment...all you can do at first is use your gut instinct.

Set up a few rehearsals and see if they attend. If they start flaking out right away, that's a huge red flag. Give them a second chance...if they screw up again, find someone else.

When they are on set and rehearsal, watch their attitude and personality carefully.

Your ideas are mostly great for finding flakes. But basically, you won't know until it's inconvenient to you.

We do the same thing as Knightly--we tend to use the same people we already know are tried and true. Hard workers who come prepared and are professional and friendly.

Last edited:
I try to call back good people I've worked with before whenever I can too.

However, when a new script calls for new faces, new auditions are necessary.

Finding good crew people can be just as fustrating.

Back