Making DV Footage look like it was shot on film

Would you be interested in making your DV movie look more like film?

• No way, dv looks fine to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bothered in the slightest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was wondering how many film makers do this already or would be interested in it?

I'm talking about, de-interlacing, frame blending, and colour correcting and more. Making the blacks blacker, the skin tones wamer, or whatever look your going for.

If you follow this link to my webpage http://www.ukscreen.com/crew/CBlakeston then click on photos you will see some split screen examples of it being used
(forgive me i dont know how to post pictures in threads, if anyone can tell me ill post em up here)

The process is used in a short film i made ages ago that i shot on dv and have been tinkering with. It's a subtle effect, but many asked how some of the shots 'look' so good.

You can see the finished film at http://www.ukscreen.com/screen/72
to see how it looks.

Id be interested in other film makers opinions about the process? is it something you would be into if you had access to the software and plug ins. Is it even a service you'd pay for it was affordable?

Look forward to reading your replies..

Hell Yeah

If there was anyway to make my DV work look more like film, I'd go for it. I have used the deinterlacing method, but the others you talked about are news to me.

As far as paying for it, I guess it would depend on how "affordable" affordable is.

Poke

The editor/DP I work with has been doing this on the past few projects we've worked on, and it gets better each time he does it (learning what tweaks to use, etc.) We've done all of what you mentioned and more. It really helps the quality. We've had people ask if we shot on film, which is a good compliment when you shot on an XL1. I highly recommend it...

- Mike.

Hi, Great replies thanks.

What i was thinking of doing is putting together a package so budget film makers can get the film 'look'.

It does take a while to encode and obviously you would want to vary the effect on each scene. So it can be time consuming.

Poke, can i ask, what would you consider to be affordable?

A price per minute? a round figure? Seperate pricing for 20,40, 60 90 mins?

I guess it all depends what the target for the film is.
Thanks for all your posts.

I don't know if this would be helpful to anyone, but I've done a little bit of web research regarding making video look like film. I know it's not the same, but I believe a lot would be applicable to both...

Here are some of articles I came up with...

Making Video Look Like Film by Shawn Bockoven
Shoot Video to Look Like Film (Take 2) by David Crossman, DGGB
How to Make Video Look Like Film by Benjamin Cooper
Making It Look Like Film by Stephen Schleicher
How do I make my video look like film?
Film look Techniques For Video by Dan Coplan
Making your video look more like a movie.
Making Video Look Like Film - The Complete List... at urbanfox

I don't have anything to do with any of these pages or articles (indeed, I don't have the experience to write them anyway). Just some stuff I've come across...

Depends

CBlakeston said:
what would you consider to be affordable?

Honestly, depends on how much money I have. But I would prefer a base price over a hourly or minute rate. But If I was in your shoes, i'd charge by the minute. If I had a million dollars, i would give it to you if you could make my DV look like film.

Poke

easier? no. more marketable and true to appearence? yes.

I would always prefer editing non-linear than on a flatbed. Transfering to tape? dosen't that defeat the purpose? does it really matter? who cares!

Wouldn't it just be easier if we all had a big money tree in our backyards and could shoot everything we did on film?! :D Even though you can add all the filters you want to make video LOOK like film, for me, deep down inside I still know it was shot with video. :P

Just my 2 cents...

Back