• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Make a flickering TV Light for film (16mm)

Guys... Got a set up to light and it's a bit challenging. It's basically a shot of a couple sitting on a sofa watchin a black and white TV. I want the light of the tv to 'flicker' on their faces. Obviously I can't use an actual TV coz of the dimness of the light... what do you guys suggest? Rotating cookies? Flapping Flags? What d'you reckon... Cinematographers S.O.S.

The flapping flag things works for me. Actually I use small flags and nets. I tried a flicker box, but thought it was too fast. One things I would caution is determine what the actors are watching. If it's a movie, then the changes should be subtle and slowish, unless it's an action scene. If it's MTV, then you can have faster changes to the flicker. Most of the time I see this done badly is when the flicker is so rapid that it would cause seizures.

Scott

I don't know all that much about lighting (except for still photography) but you could have a main light that doesn't flicker, then get a fast, dull strobe or something and put them on from the same direction at the same time?

Back