MacWorld's Review on Sound Forge Pro for Mac

What I like about Sound Forge Pro for the Mac is it is an alternative to subscription software in audio editing with professional features. I am in a situation where I don't know my financial situation month to month year to year. So. I don't want obligations to renew and pay by installments. This software is attractive to my financial situation. So, I am considering it. Pro Tools is an AVID product and they, like Adobe are pushing all professional customers into subscription software. Apple's Final Cut Pro is not subscription, but for it to be all that it can be, the two $49.99 accessory programs shown with it in the Apple store will bring out the most in it for a total cost of $400.

Avid's not pushing anyone to go subscription, you can still buy perpetual licenses for their products. They're simply offering another option for those that find it financially beneficial. And for the price of SF, you could get the industry standard for not much more.

Another good DAW option is Reaper, you can skin it however you want (I like the Pro Tools theme), costs just $60 to remove the nag screen (but is still fully functional with the nag) and there's a cheap plugin that will allow you to import an AAF from your NLE.

Personally, I think Logic would be a better DAW than SF (I used to use SF on Windows) for film work.

Last edited:
Avid's not pushing anyone to go subscription, you can still buy perpetual licenses for their products. They're simply offering another option for those that find it financially beneficial. And for the price of SF, you could get the industry standard for not much more.

Another good DAW option is Reaper, you can skin it however you want (I like the Pro Tools theme), costs just $60 to remove the nag screen (but is still fully functional with the nag) and there's a cheap plugin that will allow you to import an AAF from your NLE.

Personally, I think Logic would be a better DAW than SF (I used to use SF on Windows) for film work.

Logic Pro is for music. I am looking for something for sound effects creation and cleaning up bad audio from production recording. SF has all the right tools for that with the iZetope plug-in. Don't you use something else for music?

The annual upgrade plan simply means you pay the $599 and you can use it as long as you want. Forever. If you decide to upgrade, it's only $99 at that point, but they won't make you upgrade.

Logic isn't just for music, no. It's great for mixing and cleanup as well. I personally don't use it, but have friends that do and they love it.

You can purchase iZoetrope for any software you plan to use. Currently, I bounce between Pro Tools and Reaper for everything - music, mixing and cleanup. Both programs are perfectly capable and do the job, it really just depends on my mood or the project.

The annual upgrade plan simply means you pay the $599 and you can use it as long as you want. Forever. If you decide to upgrade, it's only $99 at that point, but they won't make you upgrade.

Logic isn't just for music, no. It's great for mixing and cleanup as well. I personally don't use it, but have friends that do and they love it.

You can purchase iZoetrope for any software you plan to use. Currently, I bounce between Pro Tools and Reaper for everything - music, mixing and cleanup. Both programs are perfectly capable and do the job, it really just depends on my mood or the project.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the product. This forum discussion mentions Logic Pro even comes with a variety of sound effects. Good to know.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28166

You pretty much sold me on Logic Pro.

IMO, you can't go past the industry standard... I've tried Logic, Audition and Pro Tools, and PT is - for me - the most powerful and the most comfortable for my workflow.

In the end, they're all good and very serviceable. Don't let subscription pricing turn you off Pro Tools as I think the addition of the subscription model simply makes it a much more attractive model. You could theoretically trial it on a monthly subscription, then buy the perpetual license if and when you want to. You then get 12 months of support and upgrades and if/when you next want to upgrade, it merely costs you $99 for another year of support and upgrades.

Compared to the previous model where you had to buy a pricey proprietary interface and then hundreds to upgrade, I think this is much better - abs providing subscription alongside an outright buy gives you the best of both worlds...

Thanks jax rox. I still can't turn my back on Sound Forge Pro for the Mac. The included iZotope plugins makes it worth it for my primary use of audio editing software. And, that's to fix bad audio. I am considering two audio editing software packages now for the month of September. Sound Forge Pro and one other. Logic Pro X sounds great, if I were to invest in Final Cut Pro X. The two programs would work well together.

Sound Forge Pro for the Mac's price includes $240 worth of iZotope plugins. That makes it worth the money.

Maybe Pro Tools as the second package. Maybe Logic Pro X.

Last edited:
Well, here's something else I discovered this week. I copied over an old animatic project made with my iMac DV running OS 8.6 and the new iMac can't understand the old sound effects files. It easily can work with sound effects from my Windows computers in either wav or aiff formats. Garage Band can't read them, they are grayed out. Neither HitFilm nor Premiere can read them either as they are grayed out. Since I opened file sharing with all my computers, I opened the old iMac sound files on my Windows 8 desktop with Sound Forge using Open as and it imported them as aiff. Which is the original format and the save as feature converted them into aiff audio the new Sierra iMac can play with iTunes and Premiere and HitFilm can now import and drop on any audio track on the timeline.

So, I am sold on getting Sound Forge Pro for the Mac and maybe Pro Tools next month.

Back