Macbook upgrade,what spec to go for?

Hi folks,

I currently run a 2011 Macbook Pro 13 inch,500GB 5400rpm HDD,8GB Ram and 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo.
I use FCP7 for editing and correction,Apple color for grading.
My Macbook is worth around £650 on ebay and I am thinking of selling it on and putting in the difference for a new one I can run Mavericks on.The main limiting factor on my macbook is the Nvidia Geforce 320, 256mb video card which can't be upgraded,it just slows things down and won't even run resolve.

I am confused as to which direction to go, I notice the Imacs are much cheaper for a better spec,I could get a 21.5 inch Imac for less than a 13 inch MBP like the one I have now which I feel lacks real estate. However I am currently in pre on a road trip documentary and have several more in the pipeline,obviously I can't take an Imac on the road with me and I can take a macbook which at the moment is pushing me back towards the MBP. I have even had a look into mac minis but I don't know too much about them?

If anybody has advice that would be great.

Cheers.

i've noticed that 95% of the time my macbook is plugged into my hdtv via hdmi. definitely more convenient to do this with a laptop than an iMac. and the screen is bigger and better looking than it could ever be on a monitor.

+wireless air mouse & keyboard

I have the 2011 early mbp 13" but mine is i5 how is yours only core 2 duo? you sure its not a late 2010? theres no way you will get £650 for yours, its worth around £450 -500 to a sucker.

your options are simple:

if portability is a must, then get a 2011 15" mbp with a high end nvidia graphics card (this should be within your budget) check its resolve compatible too.

if you intend to just buy another 13" mbp then why are you bothering to upgrade.

also is mac your only option? you could get a decent windows laptop for a good price, build quality won't be the same, but under the hood, you could get a beast for editing..

I switched from my MBP to my own custom pc which i built, the performance is unparalleled, having checked prices, there are some very powerful windows laptops that you could get for a good price.

if you have the money though, get the new mac pro, its small, its portable, its a beast and apparently (haven't checked myself) its around the same price for similar spec PC.

FC7 is dead, move on, apple won't support it anymore, move onto the (IMO) crappy fcpx or go to adobe and use CC which is a dream between PP and AE not to mention audition for documentaries..

Back