Lightworks to go open source

Yep , but in the press release they say they are developing some stereoscopic tools and then are going to release for all three platforms in the 3rd quarter of this year. I am writing to Stu Maschwitz to ask if there could be a Magic Bullet for this , although it says that it takes Premiere plugins.
The films its been used are all impressive.

Im guessing the software got bought by a hardware company and the free, feature full editor will work PERFECTLY with there advanced large shop production work flow. Great business model. Cuts the wares hounds and pirates off at the knees, while ENCOURAGING adoption of their product. Seeing that its already and Industry established tool, this could very well become the go to tool for indie film makers. Some of which certainly must be using pirated tools (no names please, and no judgments, thats between you and God)

This is NOT a new Open Source editor trying to break into the market. This tool has market share already, and will now just get more! I hope that they offer a premium pay support model, or SOME other revenue stream to encourage them to keep it updated.

Valid points wheatgrinder, they say they are taking it opensource to get the developer community help with improving the product. Once it goes opensource , I am sure there is going to be a community version that is going to be maintained and updated by the devs , just like Cinelerra. The best thing is this is a industry proven product going open , how much is exactly given away remains to be seen. But I think they have long term plans for this product , as far as updates are concerned , they mentioned they will have some modules which cant be open sourced in their online store. As long as money is to be made the product will be supported.

Back