Lighting Question

Maybe I just noticed or maybe it's the new rage, but I've seen a lot of actors with dilated pupils in obviously professionally lit productions. Does anybody know how they are pulling this off?

Maybe I just noticed or maybe it's the new rage, but I've seen a lot of actors with dilated pupils in obviously professionally lit productions. Does anybody know how they are pulling this off?

Maybe they're taking advantage of the much better light sensitivity of modern day digital cameras and noise removal filters and just using less light?

Or maybe the effects guys just found a quick and cheap way to do it in post. No idea.

Maybe they're taking advantage of the much better light sensitivity of modern day digital cameras and noise removal filters and just using less light?

Or maybe the effects guys just found a quick and cheap way to do it in post. No idea.

I was thinking low light myself, although you can see reflection of studio lights in their eyes. If that's what their doing, I would think it's a whole new lighting specialty. I'll keep a look out and report back if I find something.

Frankly, I've been shocked at just how much latituded and low-light performance I've been getting out of my 5D MkII and the CineStyle color profile. I'm doing a test short lit entirely by candlelight and (with the help of NeatVideo) have managed to get very clean video even at ISO 1600.

The pro-level digital cinema cameras are, I'm guessing, even better.

Frankly, I've been shocked at just how much latituded and low-light performance I've been getting out of my 5D MkII and the CineStyle color profile. I'm doing a test short lit entirely by candlelight and (with the help of NeatVideo) have managed to get very clean video even at ISO 1600.

The pro-level digital cinema cameras are, I'm guessing, even better.

I want to reflect sunlight from outdoors to indoors and see how far I can push it with additional reflectors. I just need to learn how to stop the sun from moving until we're done. ;) The FS100 has pretty decent dynamic range with an f/1.4 on there.

I dont know how this is done on purpose but it is a problem that comes up now and then in photography. The first couple of shots of a model may have her pupils dilated a bit too much before you start firing off your strobes. That just happens because of the particular lighting environment you may have for your shoot.

As far as film goes, id guess the eye contact thing or perhaps having ur pupils actually dilated by an optometrist. The latter would render you useless for other scenes for the next few hours, though. I had to have it done once and you can pretty much make out general shapes and be ok but interacting with another actor and props... i dont think so.

Back