• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting Help?

I'm filming a PSA in my old elementary school's auditorium. The lighting in there, as I remember, is pretty dim and yellowy. Any creative (and cheap) ideas on how to brighten things up a bit?

Well, I know that. I don't personally have any lighting equipment. I'm only seventeen and have limited funds. I need some creative ideas on how to get good lighting.

My friend suggested construction lighting with a flag. I haven't found any mountable lights yet, though.

I'm using brooder lights (clamp lights) from home depot with flourescent phillips marathon soft white bulbs (sorry, lamps) in them. They're working great for me. Make sure you get strong clamps...and if you can find them try not to get the clamps that attach to the light with pressure, but ones that are actually screwed into it...I'm having problems with the attachment wearing out quickly and the lights falling off my stands (old boom mike stands)... I also have a bunch of craftsman work lights that I got on sale for $10 a piece 500 watt quartz each.

Ellemorpheus said:
Well, I know that. I don't personally have any lighting equipment. I'm only seventeen and have limited funds. I need some creative ideas on how to get good lighting.
I wish you had mentioend that in your post - it would have help answer your question better.

Work lights with stands make good, cheap lighing.
Clamp lights are cheap and work well.
A couple of paper Chinese Lanterns from Ikea are great for soft, fill light.

You might be able to find a friend who's dad has a couple of work lights in the garage. Since it's a PSA maybe a local business (painters, constrution, autoshop) might let you use a couple of their lights.

directorik said:
I wish you had mentioend that in your post - it would have help answer your question better.

Work lights with stands make good, cheap lighing.
Clamp lights are cheap and work well.
A couple of paper Chinese Lanterns from Ikea are great for soft, fill light.

You might be able to find a friend who's dad has a couple of work lights in the garage. Since it's a PSA maybe a local business (painters, constrution, autoshop) might let you use a couple of their lights.

A very good and creative idea, thank you very much. *worships you*

Back