• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting for dark rooms

so i'm attempting a second horror film..and one fo the biggest problems with my first was lighting for dark areas...in this example i wanted it dark with candle lights and it turned out messy and lowered the quality of my camera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6epMTcYIerE so i'm wondering if i put more light on them but did like a dark blue gel would that help? i need advice bad

Lighting in the dark is a trick. You really have to figure out motivation when you put a light up in the dark. Where is the light source coming from? What color does that make the light? Part of the problem with what I saw was that most of the shots were really wide. You don't need to keep the shots that wide. It takes the viewer out of the film. Once you put the camera a little closer you can use certain lighting for certain motivation. With a single wide shot of a candle in it and a window with moon light coming in, you can then use those to light your actors even though they aren't seen again for a while. Does that make sense? You can also try different pools of light, say, coming from a bathroom window and spilling into the hall. maybe a glow from the refrigerator that someone left open. Try a few things and watch some dark horror movies. Look for that motivation and it will help with your lighting.

Back