• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Light meter

Hey all!

Hope you all had a lovely christmas full of chocolates, turkey/chicken/ham/beef and alcohols!

In the January sales, I'm going to go treat myself and get a light meter, but I don't know whats good and whats not so good. Budget is £50.00 as I'm a poor student.

Also, thought of today:

Why is a woodchuck called a woodchuck if it cannot chuck wood?

Joshy :cheers:

Sekonic studio deluxe II L398 M

Analogue one,so you don't need batteries. You can prolly get it for under 100 pounds on ebay.
Does everything you need for that budget. Is often used as back up for cine 758 version.

Someone recently mentioned the Luxi lightmeter, that plugs into a smartphone. I dunno how good it is (it was a Kickstarter project, but some reviews have prolly started coming in) but it definitely fits your budget. :)

The Luxi ($30US) doesn't plug into your phone, it is just a light diffusion dome that fits over the front facing camera on an iPhone 4/4S/5/5S and uses any of the readily available light meter apps. The Lumu ($129US) is the one that plugs into the headphone jack on iOS 6+ devices.

Back