• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lessons in video masking and lighting from a NOOB!!!!

Pay attention, there may be a quiz:P

So, I've figured out how to mask on my Premiere (yay!). After doing some testing, I thought I'd pass along a little tidbit I learned to those who are new like me and haven't done masking (on video).

The example I have: I was wanting the effect of someone in a mirror, but you could not see the person(like the room was empty). Take footage of the mirror by itself (I tried the bmp "Still" route, but it will "shrink" the picture, leaving an uneven border). Then I filmed the person in the mirror, with them in the frame. Great so far right? Then I went and layered the pics and masked the person out of the shot. Wonderful. Then I realized:

The lighting was different from the standalone to the live shot! So I got a really nice two toned scene(which may lead to interesting ideas in future), NOT what I wanted here! So remember (once again I learn-fortunately it was an experiment) make sure you're lighting is the same throughout!

Just thought I'd pass this along....laugh as you will! :lol:

Okay, how do I upload a still image? Do I have to upload one to this site (I'm only basic member). I've got one on FB, but it only does the link, what do I need to remove from the link (ala youtube) in order to embed it?

That's the best I get...

I should have used better lighting, though even then I've upgraded from "room light" to using table lamps with daylight bulbs....it's not much, but it's a step up! (I don't think I used the daylights in that shot).

So the fun as masking it...I guess those with attention to detail will notice it....of course around that's half the community ;)

I may as well ask in this thread, any suggestions for what I could put around the lamps as directional blinds, if anything? Obviously something that isn't going to catch fire. I have to make do with these until I get a light kit (which is currently on my list of about 5 things that I wish to have and don't have the money yet ;))

Last edited:
Black Saran wrap? That's AWESOME! Can create my own little flaps and wrap em up.

Thanks Knightly! If I can get this I can, for the time being focus on my next purchase (a decent external mic) :lol:

Appreciate that!

The black foil + wooden spring clothespins (c-47s) make for so much light spill corrections on so many sets... it's probably what Bruce was doing when Christian went off on him :P.

:lol:

Is this a story I want to know about? ;) C47's, thanks. I'm doing a short with mirrors, and lighting them right to not get shadows AND not be in the shot....it's fun stuff! ;)

Back