Lenses for the 5D

Hey all!

I just started shooting a web series and have picked up a canon 5d mii. Just ordered a 24mm samyang 1.4, and a 50mm canon 1.4.
We're doing things on the cheap, can't afford lighting, so I figured these two lenses would help us out in low light conditions. Any recommendations on any other cheap lenses I should get around? I've heard raving reviews about the two I've ordered, but am keen to hear your advice!

I think that's a good start, I find 24mm on the 5D to be pretty useful - much wider than that is a little too extreme for regular use. I'd say if you can pick up a rokinon 85mm f/1.4 it would round out the set nicely, I think they run about $300.

The Canon EF 85mm f1$200-$300 used on ebay. New it runs $325-$370 depending on where you get it.

I would recommend getting at least some kind of lights. Fast glass is great and all but I like the option of having a deeper DoF. When possible light for the exposure that you want.

Old 35mm film lenses + an adaptor can get you some monster deals... Just picked up a f/3.5 135mm for $10. Add the $10 adaptor, and I've got a $20 lens with some really nice old glass in it... made for 35mm film, so crisp as all get out.

Old 35mm film lenses + an adaptor can get you some monster deals... Just picked up a f/3.5 135mm for $10. Add the $10 adaptor, and I've got a $20 lens with some really nice old glass in it... made for 35mm film, so crisp as all get out.

That's adapted to a 5D? If so, could you give the specifics on the adapter you use?

Old lenses are definitely a great option. I shoot regularly with a pentax 50mm f/1.4 (this one requires a bit of surgery to adapt to a 5D) and a nikon 85mm f/2 Ais. The nikon was about $120, I think I paid about $100 for the pentax in 1991, it was probably already 10 years old at the time and it's been one of my favorite lenses ever since, although over the years I've grown to appreciate a slightly wider angle for a lot of shooting. I probably should have picked up a good pentax 35mm f/2 a couple years back as the prices seem to have increased quite a bit, at least relative to where they were - they're still much cheaper than good new lenses.

KEH.com is a great resource for these older lense. Click on 35mm, then choose the manual focus category of the brand you want, then fixed or zoom manufacturer lenses, and you'll get a ton of options. Most of the brands can be adapted cheaply to a canon - other than the canon FD series - although some of the pentax lenses need to have a tab trimmed off the back to clear the mirror.

EDIT: also I'd stay away from ebay for these old lenses. They haven't got anything good. Really. At least not for the next 4 days and 7 hours. kthxbye...

Last edited:
I recently gave away a truck load of Pentax and Zeiss glass because the adapters that I found put the lens too close to the sensor on my 5D and the mirror would hit the lens.

Damn, wish that truck had stopped by my place. It takes about 5 minutes with a dremel to make them work, at least with the ones I've tried. Another five minutes to pop out the detente ball and make the aperture ring stepless, which is nice for video.

IDOM: Can you post some pix of the alteration you're making with those? I'd love to see how you're doing it... my dremel is all warmed up and ready :)

I don't have an unmodified lens to compare the photos to - but basically these lenses have a lever that allows the camera body to change the aperture independent of the lens ring. It sticks out from the back of the lens, and has a large plastic tab alongside it which protects the lever - both of these get in the way of the mirror on Canon DSLRS (on the 5D it actually prevents you from mounting the lens altogether). You just have to cut them off flush with the surrounding lens mount, I tape everything off first to keep dust from getting into the back of the lens and then use a cutting wheel on the dremel.

Actually, looking at one of my lenses it doesn't have the lever, but it still had the tab - but either way, you need to get that part down nearly flush with the rest of the back of the lens.

If you've got any more, I'll take them ;)

Damn, wish that truck had stopped by my place. It takes about 5 minutes with a dremel to make them work, at least with the ones I've tried. Another five minutes to pop out the detente ball and make the aperture ring stepless, which is nice for video.

I guess it's a good thing that I gave them to a friend of mine and still have access to them. She shoots on a Pentax K-5.

Oh God, I can't help myself. No need for me to chime in too. But oh well. Well, you've got your 24 and your 50. Like it's already been said, picking up that 85 is a good idea. I have a 28 (I'd like to pick up a 24 sometime too, since I actually prefer the look of 24 to 28), a 50, and an 85 (not L glass!). Like IDOM said, those Rokinons sound appealing on a lower budget. But anyway, of those focal lengths, 85 is usually my favorite. It just tends to look great and to help you get good results. It tends to flatter whatever you're capturing, for one thing. In stills, anyway, to which my experience is limited. So far. =)

Back