Legal to film in comic book store?

Well since that was answered I would like to hijack this thread with another copyright Q. Can I get away with filming in a comic-book store and show covers to comics without getting permission from the companies?

I want to say no, but I'm not positive. The book I read only talked about art (on walls and scultpers), TV programs (if it can be seen or heard clearly in the background or as part of the movie) and other people's movies cannot be used unless you have clear permission from the maker or studio.

They said in the book, the way they remedied that was to either remove stuff from the walls before the shoot, or incorporate local artists work into their movie.

You might be able to get away with Shallow Depth of Focus, so the comics (I'm assuming in the background) are blurred to the point of unrecognizable...well at least, you can't tell a Batman Comic from a Superman comic but can still tell it is a comic. Short of that, I think you might have to get permission from the respected companies.

But if I'm wrong and someone knows more about it, please feel free to correct me!

Heres a trick, make up some quick bogus front pages of comics using your own art (or art you get permission to use) and a few large posters (Cosco does 24x36" pretty cheap) and when you shoot your film just place them overtop of the actual stacks and on the walls, that way it still looks like a comic book store full of comics, but the "covers" and "posters" don't break copyright laws! Because what is important? Your story or the cover of some random magazine on a bookshelf?

Even better if you wanted to do a superhero movie in the future and you have an idea already, now that is some serious foreshadowing!

Probably a cheaper solution then asking a lawyer.

Back