• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'Left to Survive' Music Video. BEWARE!

'Left to Survive' Music Video. BEWARE! (Corrected link!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhsKPKvGsHA

Here's a newly released video I directed, shot, edited, etc.

The band is The Corduroy Suit, Brooklyn based. Nice guys.

I would love to hear some critical feedback from the film community about this. Get to know me in a post I just made in the introduction forum.

Cheers guys!
Jesse

Last edited:
This was awesome! I really like how you took a cliche love story and twisted it up a little bit to make it not boring.

Nice vfx with the lips, wasn't expecting that to happen.

What I really like is how it's more of the story than it is of the artists singing.

Where were the beach shots filmed?

Hey thanks for the reply!

The beach shots were filmed at Jones Beach in Long Island. 6 hours in 10 degree 'feels like' weather-- it was quite a painstaking shoot. We arrived at 5am to catch the sunrise.

We went guerrilla, as we were relatively low key and luckily we didn't disturb anybody or vise versa. We thought at that temperature it would be totally empty, but there was a surprising amount of people meandering about-- and a few were SURFING! :huh:

Glad to hear you liked the lips effect. Some people were trying to persuade me to remove it altogether.

Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhsKPKvGsHA
I would love to hear some critical feedback from the film community about this. Get to know me in a post I just made in the introduction forum.

Nicely done and witty. The band did well in that your vid is better than a pretty average song.

Cinematography was good and liked your use of the light on the beach in places. Nicely designed narrative continuity in places and lots going on. Lips definitely 'in' although could've been better executed.

As you asked for criticism, a couple of shots early on were a bit amateur - or rather the performance of the singer was amateur and more coaching and direction would have been good.

Would've liked to have seen stronger movement shots on the beach, more depth of 'light' on the stairwell etc... but these criticisms are just niggles really. This was cleverly designed, well executed and now you have to keep the gear heads happy by talking camera and lenses.

Hey thanks for the kind words and general feedback. Niggles are fine by me. :yes: --I agree with them.

I actually was lucky enough to recently get feedback from KK Barrett (P.D. 'Her', 'Being John Malkovich', 'Lost in Translation') and he made a great point, I thought-- Essentially the 'reveal' at the climax where the guy sees the mannequin for what she really is in the car, could be seen coming a mile away. Therefore the moment was obviously less effective than it could have been :no: Looking back I can't believe I let this slide! He said overall he liked it though, which is fine news to me.

Equipment:

Blackmagic Cinema Camera (ProRes, flat film setting)
Rokinon 14mm
Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, 35mm 3.5, 125mm
Lower end Manfrotto Tripod
Cheap slider
4x4 Kino and an additional cheap LED for interiors

Last edited:
Back