Lav Mics - Best Bang for Your Buck?

What is the best price vs quality Lav mic in your opinion? I have no experience whatsoever with lav mics, but I am considering getting two just for far away shots. Any suggestions?

What is the best price vs quality Lav mic in your opinion? I have no experience whatsoever with lav mics, but I am considering getting two just for far away shots. Any suggestions?

For "far away" shots? Are you asking about lavaliere mics, or wireless systems?

A lav is a mic, and has a cable that requires connection to... well... a camera, audio recorder, wireless transmitter, mixer, etc. If you're asking about a wireless system, you have several components: the lav mic, the beltpack transmitter, and the receiver.

I am going to make the assumption that you are doing narrative work as opposed to ENG or documentary work. This being the case you want lavs that are easier to hide. Small lavs that have great sound are on the pricey side. Lavs popular with professionals for narrative work are the Countryman B3 and B6, Sanken COS-11, and Tram TR-50. Yes, you can use "larger" lavs, but they are harder to hide and, being larger, are more prone to noise issues, (rubbing, etc.) Also keep in mind that it does take a bit of skill to properly place a lav.

If you are considering a wireless system the absolute minimum I would recommend is the Sennheiser G3 systems, about $600 each. If you go with a lower priced unit you will be dealing with static, drop-outs, hissing and EM/RF interference to name just some of the potential issues.

Just to put things into perspective, many professionals use Lectrosonics wireless systems. The Lectrosonics 100 series starts at $1,200 up to $2,100 per set and the Lectrosonics 400 series starts at $1,900 all the way up to $3,200 per set without lavs.

So, if you really need a wireless lav, RENT!!!!

If I may add a question...
What wired lav would be acceptable for an interview scene where size and placement is not important to hide. I could use the boom for recording but want the lav.s as "props" too. So might as well get a couple that work (need two). Anything in the lower price range would be great as the budget dwindles.
Thanks.

The Rode Pin Mic is very nice for the price ($250). CountryMan EMWs ($175 to $200) are also very good lavs, and come in several colors and connector types. The Audio-Technica AT803B ($140) and the Shure SM93 ($140) are fine as hardwired interview mics.

You always must make sure that the lav has the proper connector for your mixer/recorder. The CountryMan EMWs can be ordered with "pigtails" (no connector) so you can solder your own.

Also check for pre-amp requirements.

Yes, there is cheaper stuff out there; I don't trust it so will not recommend it.

Back