LAV MIC SYSTEM FOR HIGH PROFILE DOCUMENTARY

We'll be in NY, doing sit down interviews of 10+ CEO's in the kid's digital media industry. It won't just be talking heads. I'll also go wider, show a lot more etc. I was told that the wireless Senhisser G3 ew112 was the the way to go @ $650+.

I heard examples of the Senhisser G3 ew112 on youtube and hated the sound. Sounded artificial, and weird on " s" "f" "ch" "xs" sounds.

I want real, good, rich sound, not artificial sounding voices. The system/ mic should be reliabe.

The mic should be as discreet/hidden as possible.

What system (s) including mic will do a great job between around $600-$1200, and be discreet, barely noticeable.

We're flyng to NYC soon.

Thanks a mil.

We'll be in NY, doing sit down interviews of 10+ CEO's in the kid's digital media industry. It won't just be talking heads. I'll also go wider, show a lot more etc. I was told that the wireless Senhisser G3 ew112 was the the way to go @ $650+.

I heard examples of the Senhisser G3 ew112 on youtube and hated the sound. Sounded artificial, and weird on " s" "f" "ch" "xs" sounds.

I want real, good, rich sound, not artificial sounding voices. The system/ mic should be reliabe.

The mic should be as discreet/hidden as possible.

What system (s) including mic will do a great job between around $600-$1200, and be discreet, barely noticeable.

We're flyng to NYC soon.

Thanks a mil.

Instead of buying gear why not just hire someone who has the right equipment and knows what they're doing? You're not going to get what you want on only $1,200. Especially if you want it to sound "better" than the G3 with the stock lavs. Most pro production sound folks use Lectrosonics wireless systems ($1,200 to $3,000+ each) and replace the lavs with Countryman, Sanken or Tram ($250 to $400 each).

BTW, don't trust the way things sound on YouTube - the compression scheme alters the sound somewhat.

Last edited:
Hi patriot, to echo AA, the next step up from the $630 Sennheiser G3 is the $1200 Lectrosonics 100 series plus a Sanken COS-11D. If you decide not to hire a sound professional, you can always rent.

There are lots of rental houses in NYC - or you can rent a Lectrosonics 100 set with a Sanken mic by mail from borrowlenses.com

If you decide to buy instead of renting, the Lectrosonics 100 transmitter/receiver set (with no mic) is $1194 at Amazon (shipping included).

Make sure you get a mic with a TA5 connector, like this Sanken COS11D TA5 ($379 on eBay - free shipping).

If that's too far above your budget, you can get a Lectrosonics 100 xmtr/rcvr set with a Lectrosonics M152 mic for $1342 from Amazon (shipping included).

In any case, you should get Ric Viers' Location Sound Bible and read it. It could save you a lot of time and money.

Good luck on your shoot!

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks Alcove. We'll be on a lot more shoots so I don't have the budget to hire a pro. I do have one investor that's paying for everything - flights to NYC, location etc. It will continue here in Dallas with more. But there are limits. Sound is all important. I do have a guy who has worked on dozens of shoots, working sound. Not a full pro, but pretty good - been working sound since he graduated from film school 2 years ago. He can do the job. Just want to get him the goods for what the budget will allow througout the documentary production. Looks like I'm rolling with Lectrosonics. Only other thing is hiding the lav mic. He said he knows how to hide them. But, as producer on a first time important project I'm using all resources for advice on the one's that are best - I'll pay around $1400-$1600 to get the right sound system.

Wow thanks for very good info man. I'll follow up on all of it. I'll probably buy all the gear instead of renting because ther will be a lot more shooting. I have a sound guy that will do a good job. I heard examples of your product advice and it sounds good. I'm glad I posted. Now my only concern is hiding the mic, - these are very high profile sitting interviews. Concerned about the possible muffling of sound as well when hidden under clothes etc.

I'm on the way to gettiing it right. Thanks a million!

2nd reply. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I come across this review where at the bottom of the article he advises against the Lectrosonics 100: http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/08/wireless-mic-shootout-sennheiser-g3-vs-lectrosonics/

I know you can't listen to every guy out there. Enough reviews. Time to move forward.

Also he makes an interesting point about combining the Sennheiser G3 EW112-p with a Sanken COS11 microphone (they make them with a locking mini-plug connector specifically for the G3). Might be cost effective if it sounds good.

Would you please lay out more about the audio scheme. From the way your post reads you need to wire up ten (10) CEOs and hide the lavs. That means ten (10) trans/rec sets and ten lavs. So even with the G3 that would be $6,500 - and you still need a ten (10) channel mixer and/or recorder, which is another $5,000+. Then there's accessories. That's about ten (10) times your proposed budget.

BTW, why isn't your audio guy here asking the questions? And you should probably be asking on Jeff Wexlers site; those guys all do production sound for a living. Give them the plans for the shoot(s) in boring, exact, exquisite detail - they may be willing to help but they are all busy working professionals and don't have time to waste on endless addenda.

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?

And you have "a lot more shoots" and an "investor that's paying for everything" who hopefully understands that to get "real, good, rich sound, not artificial sounding voices" you need to invest in the sound. Without solid sound your entire project will be worthless. You stated your self, "Sound is all important."

And why does everyone insist on hiding the lavs for this type of shoot? Especially if you're going to be half way across the room; who's going to see a 1/4" lav clipped onto a collar or tie from 50 feet away?

Okay, here's a few more questions.

Who is sponsoring the event? Have you been in touch with the event coordinator? The event coordinator may have already thought through the sound issues if they are relevant to the event. In this case it you could just tap into the audio system already in place at the event.

And, again, why do you insist on buying the gear? There are plenty of excellent audio rental houses in NYC that can supply just about anything you need.

I assumed when he said "sit down interviews" he means individual interviews, not 10 at once?

Do you really need wireless? i.e. if it's sit-down interviews why not just get a wired b6, which is very easy to hide and should sound great.

It's all in the wording; when someone specifies a number my assumption is that they will take place simultaneously.

Notwithstanding, it is definitely a better idea to rent; it will save money.

Professional Sound Services in NYC has the following package for $180/day:

Sound Devices 302 or Wendt X3 Mixer

Two Sennheiser EW-112P G3 Wireless Lavaliers

K-Tek Boom Pole 9-foot Carbon Fiber Internally Cabled

Sennheiser MKH 416 Microphone

Rycote Softie & Foam Windscreen Wind Protector

PSC Breakaway Cable

Hotshoe Adapter

Two 25-foot XLR Cables

All you need to do is add the recorder if you are not recording audio direct to camera.

This one for $400/day:

Sound Devices 744T Recorder

PSC Alpha Mix or Sound Devices 442 4 Channel Mixer

Sennheiser MKH 416/60 Shotgun Microphone w/

Rycote Softie Windscreen and Pistol Grip Mount

3 Lectrosonics UCR411A/UM400 Digital Hybrid Wireless Systems

3 Tram TR50 Lavaliers Mics w/5 clips, One Windscreen Each

Denecke Dcode® TS-C Compact Smart Slate

Hawk-Woods NP1 Power Adapter w/all Cables

Switronix Batteries

Portabrace Case with Harness

Thanks for the Jeff Wexlar referral. It'll be 10 different interviews, one at a time. Investor has limits- that's what happens sometimes when you're tied to one money man. His first time. Round trip NYC-Dallas flights for four, 4 day hotel in Times Square, passes to event, near Time Square set location rental, food intra city travel, insurance etc adds up. We're not gonna have the best sound I wanted, because now I know, from your pointing out, that it's out of our budget. But it will be good enough for this documentary - won't be distracting etc. Thanks a lot for the good info.

We're going to be shooting interviews on an off site location near Time Square - With several nice homely rooms. The day we are at the event, we're shooting a kid's panel and we'll be linked up to their system.
This is a documentary film about kids and technology, the event is the Digital Kids Conference. We'll be interviewing keynote speakers - 12 CEOs of the major upstart kids digital media companies, apps etc. 4 day shoot, including digital play testing sessions at NYC schools. Back in dallas, louisanna and San Francisco there will be more shoots, but not at this scale. Renting gear would be way too much. We have to buy less expensive gear and finish the project. That's just the level we're at. After NYC, kickstarter and sponsors will be put into play because we'll have something real to show. We just tested the sound gear - not the best but good enough. Maybe next time we'll be able to get better. Got the wireless senheisser ew112-p g3. came with me-2 omni directional mic. I bought sanken cos-11d mics to replace. Total cost - $900-$1000. Not the best, but it will work. Now I know what the best would take

Wow Alcove. THANKS FOR THE BADASS INFO. i'M PRINTING THIS OUT. We can't afford this now, but I have it for the future. Thanks a million man. Great specifics.

It's all in the wording; when someone specifies a number my assumption is that they will take place simultaneously.

Notwithstanding, it is definitely a better idea to rent; it will save money.

Professional Sound Services in NYC has the following package for $180/day:

Sound Devices 302 or Wendt X3 Mixer

Two Sennheiser EW-112P G3 Wireless Lavaliers

Sennheiser MKH 416 Microphone

Rycote Softie & Foam Windscreen Wind Protector

PSC Breakaway Cable

Hotshoe Adapter

Two 25-foot XLR Cables

All you need to do is add the recorder if you are not recording audio direct to camera.

This one for $400/day:

Sound Devices 744T Recorder

PSC Alpha Mix or Sound Devices 442 4 Channel Mixer

Sennheiser MKH 416/60 Shotgun Microphone w/

Rycote Softie Windscreen and Pistol Grip Mount

3 Lectrosonics UCR411A/UM400 Digital Hybrid Wireless Systems

3 Tram TR50 Lavaliers Mics w/5 clips, One Windscreen Each

Denecke Dcode® TS-C Compact Smart Slate

Hawk-Woods NP1 Power Adapter w/all Cables

Switronix Batteries

Portabrace Case with Harness

You can call them or Trew Audio (they ship anywhere in North America) and perhaps they can figure out a slightly less expensive package.

The whole point is you get professional gear to use for the day/week/month instead of settling on the meager - and much less professional - gear that you would buy. You're not spending $600 to $1,600, so you're actually saving money. In fact, you can hire a sound pro for about $200 to $500 per day. You will get far superior audio than if you did it yourself, so the overall project will come across as much more professional; you will saves loads of time and aggravation when you're on location, and the interviewees will greatly appreciate the professionalism.

Last edited:
If you are dead set on buying you can get the Tram TR-50 lavs (or others) wired with an XLR connector that can be plugged directly into an audio recorder like the Tascam DR-100 or Marantz PMD 661. Using a mixer like the Sound Devices MixPre-D or PSC DV Promix 3 is highly recommended; don't get anything cheaper!

Oh, make sure that you have a mic or lav for the interviewer so their questions, etc. will be clearly heard.

Back