Laptop video editing + SSD + Creative Cloud

Hi guys, as I am moving away from home next near I am in need of a more portable editor for some of my personal projects. Because I will be wanting to use the computer at the residence, at home and at school I'm going for a laptop. I've never edited high end video on a laptop before so I've been looking around trying to find a high end laptop that can run at speeds I'm used to.

I currently have a Windows 7 64bit 8gb ram desktop running CS4, however I've been looking at a MacBook Pro 8gb ram with SSD and upgrading to CS6 as I don't want to touch FCPX.

What are people's experiences editing on laptops? And what do people think of SSDs?

On a side note I'm looking at the Creative Cloud Subscription-what are people's experience with Adobe cloud services?

Thanks in advance

I generally edit short films as well as a few live events (band gigs, weddings) needing multiple layers of footage in Premiere and doing the occasional complex Special effect in After Effects

Laptops don't give you the bang for your buck when you compare the speed of a desktop with a laptop. You can do it, but its going to cost you a lot more. Also, in general, the speed of an I7 on a desktop is faster than an I7 on a laptop. I don't have experience in Macs so this might not be true.

For SSD's. they are really good. They'll increase the performance of the computer quite a lot.

If you go with Mac, don't buy the SSD and the 8 Gigs directly from them. Get the most standard setup and get your RAM and SSD elsewhere for a lot cheaper (Crucial for instance) and install it yourself (it's allowed by Apple and doesn't void the warranty).

Thanks for your help,

Laptops don't give you the bang for your buck when you compare the speed of a desktop with a laptop. You can do it, but its going to cost you a lot more.

I am aware that they don't really compare to a desktop but unfortunately a desktop isn't really an option for portability.

If you go with Mac, don't buy the SSD and the 8 Gigs directly from them. Get the most standard setup and get your RAM and SSD elsewhere for a lot cheaper (Crucial for instance) and install it yourself (it's allowed by Apple and doesn't void the warranty).

Is it possible to alter these for a laptop? I was always under the impression that with laptops you didn't really have very much control over the hardware once you got it

In a laptop you can change hardware, like switching a HDD for another is fine, or switching a smaller stick of ram for another stick with more is also fine. Adding an extra hard drive, adding a video card or even changing a motherboard and/or CPU is usually something you cannot do.

It can be painful to switch the hardware as taking apart a laptop is a lot more quirky than taking apart a desktop, but it is possible. Just remember, when putting it back together again having spare parts left over is NOT a good thing.

Swapping out the hard drive on a macbook is not for the faint of heart. If you choose to replace the disc type HDD for a SSD, use Super Duper to clone the factory drive before you swap it, and it will have everything that the original drive had and work exactly the same, just faster.

Back