Laptop for Adobre Premiere

Hello guys.

I have some urgency cause i need to buy a laptop very soon. Do you think i can work fine with HD files in a machine like this? I'm sorry it's in Portuguese but i didn't find in English. But i think it's understandable by reading the specifications. Thanks a lot.

TOSHIBA P70-A-107 - Intel I7

EAN 4051528063905

Familia de Processador Intel

Modelo Processador i7-4700MQ

Velocidade Processador 2.4 GHz

Tipo Memória DDR3L

Memória Interna RAM 16 GB

Capacidade de armazenamento 1 TB

Modelo placa gráfica (Dedicada) NVIDIA GT745M - 4 GB

Diagonal do ecrã 17,3

Bluetooth Sim

Leitor de cartões integrado Sim

Duração da bateria (max) 3h30m

Cor Preto / Prateado

Peso 3 Kg

Sistema Operativo Instalado Windows 8 64 bits

Retroiluminação LED Sim

Câmara incorporada Sim

Ligação Rede Ethernet Sim

Ligação Rede Wireless Sim

Tipo de ligação rede Wireless 802.11b/g/n

Portas USB 3.0 4

Portas HDMI 1

Portas Ethernet LAN (RJ-45) 1

Resolução de ecrã 1920 x 1080 Pixels

Teclado numérico Sim

Garantia Bateria 6 meses

Garantia 2 anos

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Cracker Funk. I was thinkin about a MacBook Pro or something but then i read that many people that work with adobe have windows. What is your opinion about that?

Macs and PCs are both great. They both do the job. PCs can be a bit trickier to become proficient at. It's easy to break a PC, just by going to the wrong website and catching a virus. But if you're good to your PC, they will do everything a Mac does. Macs are great, they're just crazy expensive. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm a PC guy, because I have very little money, and I know how to treat a computer with care. :)

The simple answer to your question is that Premiere will work great on both.

Thank you. And tell me, do you have any problem importing your files from camera to Adobe in windows?

Heres is what i read " Premiere Pro will not "see" a camera connected by USB cable, only firewire
You will need to copy the entire folder structure, containing your video files, from camera to hard drive
Metadata contained in folder"

That laptop should be fine, though you'll be wanting to read up on proxy editing & use of intermediary footage to edit with. (Handy to know about, for any editing system)

What are the minimum requirements for Adobe these days? That's something you should take a look at, too. I haven't taken notice, after they moved to their subscription cloud service.

Hello Zensteve.

This are the minimum requirements for Adobe CS6 ( the one i use):

Windows
Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 and Windows® 8. Refer to the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*
4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
4GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10GB recommended)
1280x900 display
OpenGL 2.0–capable system
7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)
Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance

I just want to make sure that i buy something that runs fine with the program and with no problems when importing files from the camera.

Thank you. And tell me, do you have any problem importing your files from camera to Adobe in windows?

Heres is what i read " Premiere Pro will not "see" a camera connected by USB cable, only firewire
You will need to copy the entire folder structure, containing your video files, from camera to hard drive
Metadata contained in folder"

Yeah, I don't know about all that. I just dump all of my footage onto my hard drive. Premiere never has to do any communicating with my camera.

So, I guess it's worth asking -- which camera do you plan to use?

I use a Canon HF S20. I can connect it to pc and put the .MTS footage somewhere else i guess.

I've edited .mts footage, with no problem. But I didn't shoot it, nor was I responsible for getting it on the computer, so I can't comment on whether any tricky procedure was required. My intuition tells me that you just dump it onto the hard drive, just like most other footage. Regardless, I can tell you that whatever the procedure, you can do it, and there will be no problems in editing.

Yeah, the newer USB ports are backwards-compatible.

True.

I'd say to the OP to buy a USB 3 card reader and upload your camera files to your laptop using USB 3. USB 3 is just soooooooooooo much faster.

According to this article USB 3 is ten times faster than USB 2.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/usb-3-0-vs-usb-2-0-much-204216261.html

This is what I use:

Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/CF Cards
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Sup...=1379473587&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+3+card+reader

Last edited:
I use a Canon HF S20. I can connect it to pc and put the .MTS footage somewhere else i guess.

Premiere won't need to communicate with that camera at all. When you connect it to your computer, the computer will "see" the camera as an external drive. You'll copy the files to the hard drive, and open those with premiere.

The issue with Premiere not "seeing" a camera via usb has to do with tape based cameras where premiere sends signals to the camera to start playback of the footage, fast forward, rewind, etc.

Your camera has internal flash memory and uses SD cards. Unless you record to the internal camera memory, you should never have to connect the camera to the computer at all. Simply use an SD card reader, which if you're using a laptop should be built in.

As for premiere itself, CS6+ have native support for the AVCHD codec (.mts files) your camera uses. The i7 processor handles HD footage nicely, though editing on a laptop is never as smooth/fast as on a beefy desktop machine.

Last edited:
One more thing. The internal drive will only be 5400rpm and i've read that can make editing a little slow, but if i buy and external drive with 7200rpm and put all the footage there, it will help right?

Back