Justin Bieber in Star Wars VII?

Can he really be worse than Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen? I have no interest or opinion on Bieber, but lots of pop stars make passable actors (for obvious reasons).

I do, however, have an opinion on petitions about casting choices. This has come up in Star Wars before (rumors leading to a petition about some boy-band person. Can't recall who...someone from the Backstreet Boys or Nsync, I think). People need to remember they are fans, not casting directors. It is impossible for them to say who had an awesome audition and/or reel. They are consumers, not creators (at least with someone else's film). The Star Wars fandom in particular is guilty of this. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars (and Episode 2 drives me nuts just like anyone else) but once you get into discussions about DIFFERENT levels of canon, then it's getting a little silly.

I find it amusing how people react to such news.
On one side: choosing 'name' before talent can attract a certain public.
I have no idea whether Justin Bieber is a good actor or not.
So, on the other side, choosing a name for the sake of the name can damage the endresult.

Time will tell whether it's true and whether it's smart marketing...

He's (probably) not going to be in it. I don't really care. I'm not a fan of his music, but he could be an okay actor. Who knows?

It's most likely a rumor.

Can he really be worse than Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen?

Just because there may be worse, doesn't mean certain disasters need to be avoided...

That's like asking "can this skin cancer really be as bad as lung cancer?"

do you think it's smart marketing?

No, it's not smart marketing if they actually cast him; the Star Wars culture (cult?) is just too ingrained to accept Bieber as the main protagonist, and they are too important to the bottom line (even if some of them are in their 40's and 50's).

It's really smart marketing to let the rumor out that Bieber is being considered; look at the blogosphere reaction and all of the free press!

I don't know. I'm actually a fan of Justin Timberlake as an actor. If they were to cast him, that would actually interest me --someone who has, through no fault of his own, soured on Star Wars, thanks to the prequels.

Justin Bieber, yes, uhg, that would kill a fair amount of my hope for the new films, perhaps unfairly, but there it is. With apologies to JB, and not being familiar with him and the pop culture that adores him, but having not lived in a cave for the past decade, I have to say that I'm Biebered out. It's like how a I feel about their not having let Rosie O'Donnell into the Harry Potter films --relieved.

I don't know, Audio, how much does Lucas care about the forty and fifty year olds? Jar Jar was kind of a big eff-you --today's child fans are what's important, not you old farts, wasn't he?

Remember this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

How about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI

Huh. Whodathunk that they'd both turn out to be deservedly well-respected actors? And for the record, I thought Zach Efron was pretty good in 17 Again.

By the way, what's with all the hate for Bieber? What, just cuz he's a teen heart-throb? Why does that make him annoying? Do you know how he reached fame?

Youtube! The dude got famous by posting homemade videos on motherfucking youtube! I kinda think his story should be an inspiration to us, not an annoyance.

Maybe the force is strong with this one?

No, it's not smart marketing if they actually cast him; the Star Wars culture (cult?) is just too ingrained to accept Bieber as the main protagonist, and they are too important to the bottom line (even if some of them are in their 40's and 50's).

I highly doubt that the 40/50 year olds you refer to are the target audiences for the next Star Wars films.:lol:

Back