• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

just about to order a Sound recorder?

Was thinking Zoom h4 or h2.
I am really bugged by the fact you have to hit record twice for some reason. I also want the best built in Mic's.. I plan on capturing interviews more than anything else. Secondarily it will be used on the hot shoe and maybe hooked to a rode shotgun. Any thoughts?

These things can be like an Apple/PC debate, but Alcove has been consistently choosing the Tascam D100 because of better preamps in this price range if you HAVE to stay within this budget. There are much better recorders for a bit more money.

I'm sure Alcove or ROC will be around later, so I'm just passing this on for now.

The DR-100 (or H4n) with the XLR inputs will give you more "upgradability" towards the future.

My choice would be the Marantz PMD-661, but I understand that most folks like to cheap out on the audio.

Great advice as usual.. as I was just about to buy the zoom. After reading about the Tascam (which I did not consider until this thread) I switched my order.

Thanks!

Hahah, yeah AA I feel the audio guys plight.. most noobs want to cheap out on audio. I am trying to do better =) and when I finally do, I'll give credit to the good folks here.

@Rob,

PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE don't mount a mic on one of those DSLRs.

All you're going to hear is the auto-focus of the lens.

Please get a boom.

;) Auto-focus? Nope, Rob is a hard core. That's like having automatic gain on. :D

A boom is the way to go, especially if you are recording sound separately. Which means all of us control freak shooters must employ the help of sound people. Let them control freak that part. :lol:

;) Auto-focus? Nope, Rob is a hard core. That's like having automatic gain on. :D

A boom is the way to go, especially if you are recording sound separately. Which means all of us control freak shooters must employ the help of sound people. Let them control freak that part. :lol:

Wait I'm not sposed' to have auto gain on?:D

I'll def use a boom when I can..

..90% of my shots are solo efforts while running during parties, and clubs events. How would you guys best set up for these types of shots?

Great advice as usual.. as I was just about to buy the zoom. After reading about the Tascam (which I did not consider until this thread) I switched my order.

Thanks!

Hahah, yeah AA I feel the audio guys plight.. most noobs want to cheap out on audio. I am trying to do better =) and when I finally do, I'll give credit to the good folks here.

Rob, I have the TASCAM DR-100 also. I like it. I'd just give you one piece of advice. Get the powerchord also. It eats up the battery like anything and then takes about 6 years to charge back up. I think these guys did it on purpose. Anyway, I found myself going through AA batteries like crazy, and then I just ordered the powerchord off Amazon.

It'll be a good purchase. Do it. :)
best,
aveek

Rob, I have the TASCAM DR-100 also. I like it. I'd just give you one piece of advice. Get the powerchord also. It eats up the battery like anything and then takes about 6 years to charge back up. I think these guys did it on purpose. Anyway, I found myself going through AA batteries like crazy, and then I just ordered the powerchord off Amazon.

It'll be a good purchase. Do it. :)
best,
aveek

I haven't found this to be the case, mine lasts pretty long even with phantom power on. But nonetheless, I wouldn't mind a power cord.
The zoom eats batteries way fast, at least the H4n.

Have a look at Sanyo Eneloops - great little rechargeable AAs that last for ages.

Back