It's been 7 years...time to upgrade! HELP!

I'm new to the forum so I would like to start by saying hello! I'm a fashion, beauty and portrait photographer who has dabbled for some time in video but now moving into more commercial fashion film and music video based assignments.

I've owned a iMac27" for around 6/7 years and it's served me very well. In fact it's never missed a beat. Believe it or not I'm still running Snow Leopard and the thing has been stable as a rock. Adobe master collection CS6 has been my software choice all this time however I'm now wanting to move heavily into CC and more importantly Da Vinci Resolve 12.

My needs include both image editing and video editing so Photoshop and Capture One are staple programs I must run. For video work I need to edit GH4 footage both in 4K and full HD along with vfx stuff that includes plugins like element 3D, particular etc.

I hope to move over to Resolve fully and ditch premier all together.

I have a budget of $3000 however only want to buy what is necessary to do the job effortlessly (no bragging rights ott system needed). I know i want 2 SSD drives for OS, Software and Project files along with a 8TB raid system too.

Also I want a 3 monitor setup (maybe somehow possibly use my 27inch mac as a display) this i expect to purchase outside my 3k budget.

I've never built my own PC however the IT technicians at my work said they would do it no problem once i get the parts. They have huge servers and machines at our place and know there stuff.

I've read soooo many different guides and advice along with loads of youtube videos all advising different mother boards and graphics cards i don't know what to go with.

I want something that will be solid for the next 7 years without the need for an upgrade.

Please help if you can.

Resolve fully and ditch premier all together

I don't know about computer prices in Dubai, so I have no idea how to keep within your budget.

I will say this. Don't use Resolve for editing.

If you do stick with Premiere, add an additional SSD for your cache.

I want something that will be solid for the next 7 years without the need for an upgrade.

I doubt this will be possible.

Thanks for this. Why do you suggest not to use resolve for editing? What is premier able to do better than resolve? I've used premier forever but i like the idea of one platform for all work.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Why do you suggest not to use resolve for editing?

Unless you're doing remedial editing, it's not really ready to be used as an editing program. I'd guess it's a few years away from being seriously considered. It's a color grading program.

i like the idea of one platform for all work.

Don't we all. Unfortunately this doesn't exist. At least not at a professional level.

Back