• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this premise interesting for a short film?

Hey guys, what do you all think about this concept?

X and Y are two non identical twins .
X stays with mother
Y stays with father,
father and mother are divorced for over 12 years now
after 12 years, now they are planning to meet at a place.
movie opens with X driving to that place in his car, talking to his mom
Y is with his friend in train coming to the place.
it is revealed in a conversation with Y's friend that y's father demised 3 years ago
in a intercut, it is also revealed that X is not happy that his mom couldn't let him go and meet him that time during the death.
but Y doesnt know this, he thinks X ignored that on purpose
on the road nearby the station, X accidentally hit's Y with his car
slightly injured,X feels sorry and takes Y to hospital. In the journey Y recognizes X as his brother but X still doesn have a clue
next part is what I am unclear about.
I want it to end some thing like this:
y has to be convinced off x's affection to his brother ...
in the end, we see X waiting at the place till evening when y comes with bandaged leg.

Sounds cool, also sounds slightly familiar, but then again isn't everything :)

You'll obviously need to slowly indirectly be feeding the audience this back story, including their DECEASED father. Perhaps you could have flash backs, but specifics like 3 years may be difficult to show without being obvious

Sounds cool, also sounds slightly familiar, but then again isn't everything

You'll obviously need to slowly indirectly be feeding the audience this back story, including their DECEASED father. Perhaps you could have flash backs, but specifics like 3 years may be difficult to show without being obvious

Thank you for the response. Actually, I was planning to make this at a very small level trying to tell the back story only through dialog.

Anyone else would like to critique ,please?

Sounds like an interesting idea, however what you have written is way too much for a premise, ideally you want a premise to be as short as possible, you should really be able to explain the general idea of a film in one sentence,

For your idea I would write something along the lines of; 2 twins split by divorce, have the chance to meet following the death of their father, with the hope of renewed friendship.

I'd even be tempted to drop the last part haha.

However your idea does sound really interesting, I think what you need to do is work out some character bios, maybe thinking about how the kids have lived differently? Maybe the mother remarried, maybe to someone with money? Maybe the father continued to work his dead end job?

Think how that might make the first meeting of the kids? Or about how it may throw up barriers in them becoming friends?

Then I think you need to write a synopsis, and work out the character arcs, as in what sort of journey they take through the film, have they learnt anything by the end? Have they grown emotionally?

I honestly think if you spend some time really working on the character bios, and working out what sort of person each boy is, then the rest of the story will come to you with no problems!

Hope this has helped in some way! And I don't mean to sound condescending or whatever just my two cents haha!

Maybe one of them should kill the other, or something. I guess I'm wanting something to happen. A bit of drama.

Two brothers separated in childhood, meet up again .... then what?

I like the idea of structuring it around a meeting at a certain place. It gives it a focus. But maybe there can be a twist when they do meet.

Right, divorce and twins dont yet seem to be relevant to the story..

unless its IMPORTANT to something yet to be shown.

ala fight club, they are the same person ... ,

or

they aren't really twins at all, both parents had affairs at the same time, both ended up with the love children of those affairs and just told everyone "they" had twins..

this is revealed to them because at the hospital after the accident, X is asked to give blood for his brother but the blood compatibility test reveals that they cant be full brothers.. (maybe there such a thing as genetically dominate blood types, or some other plausible thing)

That would be dramatic as they try to figure out whose dad died and whose mom is still alive..

could als be a freaking funny dark comedy story..

half tempted to delete this post, as I like this idea.. but as I say, ideas are cheap, its execution that matters..

Back