Is this normal when it comes to editing?

Being a newbie, I find myself having to cut to an actors face in a scene, in order to cover up a mistake I made. Like for example, I don't like a shot I did when an actor says his line. It was from a bad angle and the camera shakes too much. Didn't notice it till later. So what I would do is cut to another actors face, while that actor talked, and just leave out the shot. In another scene, in one of the shots, it started raining, but had to cut out the rain shot in order, to match it up with the other shots. So I had to cut to another actor, during dialogue.

The problem with doing this is that you ruin the money shots of the dialogue. I have an ideal shot list, of who's face the camera is on, during what line, but finding myself having to cut away quite a bit, cause it didn't turn out that way in shooting.

Is this normal in filmmaking or am I suppose to get money shots only, and shouldn't need to have other choices in editing, cause those choices are not the money shots?

Even though I have storyboards, I have been shooting from different angles to get coverage. But perhaps I should focus on ONLY getting the storyboard shots, over and over, so therefore, I will have more good shots, that are money shots?

Last edited:
Hope so too. I have had two actors drop out so I will have to still find two more. And all the work to do so has had me very fatigued, plus my other day job, plus trouble sleeping, cause of stress of problems for the movie lol. So I hope that doesn't cause me to screw up any more scenes.

haha thats how filmmaking works ;) welcome to indie film production

in my case i got 40+ workday week, school, and filmmaking during the weekend.

Last edited:
haha thats how filmmaking works ;) welcome to indie film production

in my case i got 40+ workday week, school, and filmmaking during the weekend.

For my first short I had to simultaneously wind up a business, get divorced, get a job with a 60 hour working week and get l@id. In order to do that I had to get up before I went to bed, work 30 hours every day and discovered that it is possible to squeeze a 10 day working week into seven days.

It's easy when you know how...

In the BTS for "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", they refer to the scene where Brad Pitt is in the back seat of the car going through the fence... their film got ruined and what you see of that scene in the film is every existing frame of that day of shooting... and some digital processing to fix the end bits a little to match the rest of the frames.

If the audience will follow the emotion of the scene, the continuity is not as important. Cut to the emotion and the dialog... the audience will accept the rest if those work.

Back