Is this ethical?

A contest host did not allow your film to be entered but still cash your check!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I submitted something to a film contest. The entry fee was $10. I shipped the package via USPS, since it was going to a PO box. There was a mixup at the USPS and they got the package there the day AFTER :bang: :angry: the deadline! I emailed the host and told them the deal and they said they could not accept the entry...

Today, I just found out they cashed my check!

Is that right or wrong? and why?

They should not have cashed your cheque.

Also, what did the submissions page say about entries? I've read a lot where they talk about being "post-marked no later than"... others have "must be received by". (and some have both). Might be worth checking.

If they have a policy of not returning entries, they should have tossed it straight in the trash if they were serious about their cutoff dates. Get your ten bucks back.

(If you can't get it straightened out in a few days, I wanna know who it is.)
smiley_creepy.gif

That's totally wrong. They shouldn't have gotten your 10 dollars off of you. They said it was late, so if they meant that then like Zen said they should have threw it in the trash. NOT open it up and look for money! :P I tell you some people... :crazy:

I'm pretty much of the same opinion - if they declined to accept your entry because it was late, they had no business cashing your check. Like Zen said, scrutinize the entry rules and press the issue if you've got footing.

I'll withold calling them maggots until you've checked out the rules, but it's tempting.

Let me preface my comment by saying I am in no way endorsing what they did, but ...

Most entry fees are just that - fees due for entry into the contest. The deadline would be something that disqualifies an entry, not bar it from being entered. Therefore, they cashed your entry check but disqualified your entry.

At least that would be my understanding.

Poke

Well here is my email to the contest people:

Good Morning,
By now you probably have recieved many, many entries into the
[omitted for now] contest. However, you have not recieved mine! I called the
USPS this morning and they confirmed that they have not delivered my
entry yet. It should have been there yesterday, as I shipped it 2 day.
The thing is, it is now the 3rd day. I hope that you can make this
exception and add my entry into the contest. I totally understand if
you cannot, but I ask that you please allow my entry. It would be
greatly appreciated. This is my first one, ever and I think viewers
will find it interesting. It is for the Documentary catagory.

Thank you again.

I left my name and cell phone number in case they wanted to discuss it

==================================

Their response:

Unfortunately we cannot accept ANY entries after yesterday. The videos had
to be in our offices by September 30th. We will be holding the contest again
next year and you are welcome to send in your entry then.

==================================

SO, if they could not ACCEPT any entries, then why would they even open it up. I mean if it's not accepted, thats just like dirty sweaty old laundry... ewww we cannot accept this, throw it out... like totally! :huh:
NOT open it take out the money then throw it out. :no:

see what I mean?

Totally fucked up...

CootDog said:
I submitted something to a film contest. The entry fee was $10. I shipped the package via USPS, since it was going to a PO box. There was a mixup at the USPS and they got the package there the day AFTER :bang: :angry: the deadline! I emailed the host and told them the deal and they said they could not accept the entry...

Today, I just found out they cashed my check!

Is that right or wrong? and why?

Sorry for the language, but something similar just happened to me and hell no that's not right. If your submission got there the day after and they absolutely will not allow your entry to enter, then they should send the package back to you OR, at the very least, contact you by telephone, email, or regular mail and ask you what they should do with your entry i.e., send it back (most likely at your expense) or toss it but WITHOUT cashing the check...

You should post the name of the fest... I sure as hell won't ever give them my money.

filmy

I sent them an email today to see if I'm entered or if they cashed the check by mistake. I'll give them a chance to make things right. Then I'll give you the name of the magazine contest that had a deadline of Sept 30. :D

boycott, haha, acutally coot that is very wrong i'm sorry about that. I was in a similar situation. You know my show VegasIndiesTv, when i first started i tried charging poeple just to help out with airtime, but that didn't work because there was so many free fests, so i changed it up and made it free. Well someone i think form here sent me the $20, but since I changed it to free i couldn't accept his money so i told that I voided the check, and i won't charge him. So yes it's wrong.

I'm lazy. I never really refund shit, no matter the cost. Because im lazy. SO i went with option 3, because im lazy.

You should tell them EXACTLY what happened. Send them their email that they sent you that said "...we can not ACCEPT your entry". They should refund your money!

Chances are, the person who cashed your check isn't the same person who told you they wouldn't accept the submission...so maybe it was a mistake...It was still wrong, though...and they DEFINITELY should not accept your money if they say they won't accept your submission. No matter what.

(If they refuse...not much you can do since it's just $10.)

:grrr: After 3 emails, I finally was responded to 3 times today... While my entry was not put in the contest. A check will be sent to me soon. :lol:

All this over $10?

YES! because it's MY $10 and I can buy 15' of green fabric, or MiniDV tapes, or props or something... That's why!

:director:

$10 = Italian sandwich, beer, bag of BBQ potato chips.

:woohoo:

Back