• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this camera or tape?

Started seeing this today. I shot some day for night tests with a PD 150 and the whole tape is fine. After dinner I was shooting some interior stuff with new tape and I get this...

http://allknightproductions.com/clips/what_the.wmv

Tried four clean tapes and they all do it so I'm thinking it's the camera. I ran the head cleaner for ten seconds and it's still doing it.

Anybody seen this before?

Thanks.

Well i was going to suggest using a head cleaner but if you have already done that i am not quite sure.

Maybe you should try it again another day and hope it was just a one off.
Or if its a regular occurance i suggest taking your PD150 to an electrical store for repair.
Is it still under warranty?

Are you using the same brand of tape stock that you always use with that camera?

It's just I always use Panasonic and had a very similar situation when I was given a JVC tape to digitize. Appparently it's something to do with the lubricants used, they don't always mix.

The other thing is -- the tapes you used, were they new tape stock, or were you recycling? -- It would be unusual to have three tapes in a row go bad on you, but if you'd stored the old tapes badly it's not impossible.

I've seen stuff like that on tapes I've reused.

Yeap, especially it it's had a lot of use -- always pays to use fresh stock.

Plus, if you insert a heavily used tape from a brand that you're camera isn't used to, it can gum up the heads for the next, fresh tape.

Cleaning the heads works, but reinserting the offending tape jsut recreates the mess.

Plus, you don't want to be using the head cleaner any more than you need to for maintenance.

No, sadly, it's not under warrenty. Yes all the tapes I used are new. Sony Premium DVM60's. I bought four. Shot a whole tape's worth of test shots that day. Everything looks good on that tape. When I started using the second tape I got this, cleaned the heads and tried the other two tapes and they're all doing the same thing. I'm stumped.

Back