is it possible....?

is it possible for me to get some kind of patent or copyright on my

film/film idea? this might come out a bit naive... but how can i make sure

nobody will make a related or the same film as i am..? i've been getting

uneasy about the fact that someone else could already be in the process

of making it with their own ideas and approaches.. which is making me

feel extremely rushed. so this whole time i've got 1/2 my head working

hard on this film and 1/2 my head left behind, indecisive, and hesitant.

it's preventing me from putting my whole into this project. so i would

really appreciate any help at all.

You can't copyright an idea, only an actual written product. Whether it be a one-sheet, a treatment, or an entire script. There's no way to stop somebody from doing a similar/related project... as you can see by two movies about asteroids hurtling toward Earth (Deep Impact, Armageddon), two computer animated ant movies (A Bug's Life, Antz), etc... If your script is truly original, I wouldn't worry about somebody doing something similar, it will stand on its own.

That being said, you should protect your work by registering it with the WGA (http://www.wga.org/ ), or get it registered with the copyright office.

- Mike.

Yeah

As soon as it is completed, and in script form, rush it to the WGA, and get it registered. Here's how.

But if someone else is doing something similar, you just have to trust your talents. It's like when my mom used to always get onto me for worrying about what my brother was doing or getting to do that I wasn't. She'd say, "Nick (that's the name the man forced upon me, and by the man, I mean my dad) worry about the puddle of pee in your own lap." And you know what, she was right, I had pissed in my pants. It just goes to show you that worrying about others weakens your bladder.

Poke

Back