Is 16GB of RAM Needed or Worth the Expense?

I think I'm going to finally start to use (or try to use) Premiere Pro.

I just have a store-bought PC. No super editing machine. It's a few years old now.

My PC's Specs:
AMD Phenom II six-core processor
ATI Radeon 1GB DDR graphics card
8GB DDR3

Is it worth the expense to go up to 16GB for basic video editing? I don't think I'll be dealing with 4K anytime soon.

I read someone who claimed that for most people they don't need even 8GB, and that it will only add heat to your PC.

What would that mean? Your PC would wear out faster? How much faster? Is that a real problem?

Is the added performance worth the bucks? Or is it overkill?

Thanks for any advice!

don't need even 8GB, and that it will only add heat to your PC.

You should be fine with 8gb. Assuming you already have this machine, what I'd suggest is start editing with what you have. If you end up with a problem (speed wise) then look at upgrading. I think your video card would be the first thing you'd upgrade before the ram.

As for adding heat to your PC, it sounds like something h44 would say. Even if this is true, the amount would be so small that it shouldn't be a consideration.

If you are going to use PPro, you'd indeed look for a CUDA supported NVidia GPU to replace your ATI.
That will make more difference at this moment.

And yes: it's nice to have the extra ram :)

But do GPU first, otherwise editing will be tiresome as if it is FC Pro 7....

Yea, get a Nvidia GPU with CUDA, either 3 or 4GB and you'll be good for years. This is the best upgrade you can do.

Adding RAM giving you heat? No, actually it should do the opposite. Assuming you have a bunch of open slots to add in 2 new 4gb ram cards, you'll actually be reducing heat by distributing between a higher number of cards.

I don't know much about PCs anymore or that much about processors. All I know is about mine.

Mine came with 9g of RAM. I was about to add some more RAM to take it up to 16 and then I did a bit of reading on my particular desktop. Turns out, it can only handle a max of 12gb of RAM so if I put anything else in it, it wouldn't have made a difference beyond 12. So now I have 12. I think it's a little better, but sometimes I can't tell.

Also the RAM had to be the same type and speed or something, I forget now, something to do with 1Rx8 or 2Rx8, and it was recommended that they are all either one or the other and not a mix between the two types. So open up your pc and see what type of RAM you have, and buy that type only, if you want to add.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Okay thanks a ton, guys. Your help is much appreciated. I will look into the graphics card, see if I think I can manage that. I'm glad to hear that the heat concern ain't right. Thanks for making sure I'm making sure about compatibility. That would really suck to get that wrong.

Muchas gracias. :)

Back