• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

interior, but seen from outside.

If there is a scene which happens in a store, but we see it from outside, the scene is INT. or EXT.? In the scene we describe what happens inside the store but the hero is outside and watches inside.

...we see it from outside...

Who is "we"? Why are "we" watching action take place inside the store, from outside the store? Answering those two questions should give a better understanding of what you are trying to achieve.

As it stands, I suggest you have two options:

EXT. STORE - DAY

HERO walks past store. He looks through the window. A fight breaks out inside.

or...

INT. STORE - DAY

A fight breaks out. Outside, HERO approaches. He watches through the window.

Only you know what you are trying to convey. But whatever you do, don't direct from inside the script.

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter: whatever you do, don't direct from inside the script.

This. My newest feature, DETOURS, has a scene that takes place inside a restaurant, but the first shot is from the outside, looking in the window. This wasn't my choice as the writer but the director's decision.

Thank you for the answers. More specific:

Let's say that the hero walks on the street and he watches inside the stores, and in every store something is happening and we discribe what is happening as the hero watches these. How would we write that? When we discribe what the hero watches inside the stores is INT or EXT?

This. My newest feature, DETOURS, has a scene that takes place inside a restaurant, but the first shot is from the outside, looking in the window. This wasn't my choice as the writer but the director's decision.

I understant this, but how do we write it? We have to choose either INT or EXT. What do we choose?

Back