Interactive Movies: Would you like to make one?

I’ve been playing Half Life 2 a lot lately, and wow what an experience it has been! This is without question one of the best and most interactive video games I have ever played. What really makes it a standout though is how everything slowly unravels like the plot to a good suspense thriller. The Max Payne games have a similar quality about them.

Would you ever consider seeking the resources to make one of your movies into a video game? I think I would. Actually, I think I am. :D

I've dealt with game programming before. I never thought to make a game based off of a movie I made... interesting idea. I'm not a big fan of scripted games (as in story script). I've always tried to maximize the options available to a player - let them choose the story and their path. For that reason I have worked on "Combat Simulations" with multiple races and very complex combat systems (in an attempt to replicate real combat more accurately - I hate "hit points"). It's an interesting area to work in for sure! I can see working on a scripted game if the story was good enough though. What language and/or libraries are you (maybe) planning on using for your base code?

I have a freind in the music industry who believes that eventually there will be no real difference between games and movies. He may well be right. Personally I believe that narrative is so powerful that it will survive without becoming multi-choice. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

I tend to agree with you (as opposed to your friend) Clive.. but then, those of us who truely love the narrative form have to die sometime, and with all the interactive 3D games bringing up kids these days, maybe narrative film will die with us? That's a sad thought. :(

There was a phase in cinema history where they tried to make interactive movies. There were theaters that had chairs the bounced at scary parts and they had people in costumes run down the isles. There was even a scratch and sniff movie where you were given a card and had to scratch a section and smell it at certain points in the movie. I think the closest we have of that kind of theater expirence today are amusement park rides where you watch something on screen and mist comes out of your chair or the room moves.

Shaw said:
What language and/or libraries are you (maybe) planning on using for your base code?
C++ and the Torque Game Engine. I would really like to use Virtools' Dev, but their price may be a little out of my reach.

clive said:
I have a freind in the music industry who believes that eventually there will be no real difference between games and movies. He may well be right. Personally I believe that narrative is so powerful that it will survive without becoming multi-choice. Of course, I could be wrong about that.
I'm not too sure about that. There will always be that group who would rather just sit back and enjoy a movie without being a part of it, like me. :D Games are pretty demanding, in most cases.

Interesting idea. I've heard that mentioned before I think. I believe you are right though; narrative is strong enough to stand on its own. Especially for movies which are seen as stories first and foremost. Games, on the other hand, are becoming less and less scripted (online MMORPGs are good examples). People want games to be interactive. It's not really something that is expected or desired for movies - at least not yet. I don't see a merger happening any time soon. Maybe graphics wise though.

Torque is a great engine. Definitely worth the relatively minor investment! You'll have to let us know more when you get going on the project!

Shaw said:
Torque is a great engine. Definitely worth the relatively minor investment!
Hells yes! :D

You'll have to let us know more when you get going on the project!
Will do. I would love to get started on the game this year, but I doubt I'll be able to juggle that and two movies in production at the same time.

Back