Insurance

I know there are a number of other posts about where to obtain insurance, but I'm wondering about more specifics than where.

We contacted a property owner today, in regards to the location we figured would be most difficult to find, a business interior, with cubicles, etc.. go figure it's the first good lead we've gotten on the location front thus far.

Anyway, we was saying that he wants us to provide an insurance policy that names him as the insured, with the following coverage: $100,000 property damage, $2,000,000 liability. Initially he wanted $2mil each, but when we mentioned that we're not going to have the huge lights he dropped the property damage amount.

Anyway, my question is, doesn't the liability cover that anyway? Also does $2mil seem a bit high? I thought the standard was $1mil..

Suppose we get this policy for one day, so we're covered for that day of shooting, and end up needing to be covered another day for somewhere else, would we be able to add that additional place to the policy, or would we have to get a second (and third, etc) policy?

Also, any idea what that might cost for one day? I'm planning to call around for quotes tomorrow, but thought I'd ask you fine folks who already know first. Thanks!

You can't buy for one day, you can either buy yearly, or temporary, which is a minimum of about 10-12 days, if I remeber correctly.

Don't give up!!!
Find another location- explore networks of friends and such.
We got a whole lighting factory/office/research center all to ourselves on weekends free of charge because one guy's dad asked the president if he could come in and do extra work on the weekends in exchange for us having free reign. He got to catch up to take an early vacation, we got the sweet sweet glory of a good location!
Never give up!!!

We're still exploring, but having the insurance would also make other locations easier to secure too I think. We've got a number of locations in the film, so the easier we can make it to find them, the better.. ;)

Back