• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Ink Dragon comes to life: DSLR Macro video

This is my first experiment shooting macro video with a DSLR. I used a rented Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens and a 5D mark ii. Pulling focus on that tiny target was a challenge, but since the style of the video is reality I don't think it hurts the clip that much. Part of the challenge was that I wanted to keep ISO low, so I was shooting at f2.8. In retrospect, more light would have made this easier! This was lit with a single 500W tungsten with a soft box.

This is all live action - no CG or animation. I used some science tricks for the special effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0azaLcPKWU

My next dream is to experiment with shooting macro of an ink drop at 300 fps. I'm obsessed with the idea that there is some normally invisible colour or essential character at the heart of an ink drop that I might reveal. I don't have access to / can't afford a pro high speed camera, so I'm going to improvise with my Casio EX-F1 and a lens adapter. I'm planning on lighting with twin Kinoflo Diva 401s, which I've read are flicker free, at least at moderate high speed frame rates. If anyone can confirm this one way or the other, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Alex aka NoodlersFan

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this too. A fun little story :)

I'm guessing the sciencey magic was magnets for the spikey effect, and wax on the paper at the end to herd the ink into place?

Thanks for watching! I appreciate the feedback.

A.D., good eye, you're right about the magnet - it took a stack of 5 rare earth magnets to produce the necessary spikiness. I also had to "spike" the ink with some iron powder, since it's not inherently magnetic. Not quite ferrofluid though as I was not able to get the iron to go into solution in the ink so the iron just kind of lifted the fluid up. As far as how the ink became the silhouette of the dragon, you're on the right track but it wasn't wax paper :) Although, now that you mention it, I bet that would have worked.

If anyone watching has any suggestions or tips for improving the look of the footage (especially lighting to bring out the colour of the ink) I'd appreciate any suggestions, as I expect to be shooting as least one more ink macro video before too long with a similar setup.

Back