• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

iMovie 2009 and 24p.

GREETINGS! :cool:

I made a pretty whacky web series entitled Lance the Romance. I shot it on HV20, RODE VideoMic, did some last minute IKEA lighting, and I used iMovie 2009 on my Mac for a faster workflow (I actually just use Final Cut Pro for my features).

My question is, by using iMovie, am I getting the true 24p Canon HV20/30/40 delivers? Am I losing picture quality as well?

And if I were to send the finished iMovie edited video to a professional sound editor (or sound mixer), how would I do that on iMovie? Do I export it as a QuickTime file or something else?

I want season two to look better and sound better.

Anyway, here some examples from the webisodes (WARNING: it's R Rated and VERY RAUNCHY):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbujnjT6Y7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJbJeyEdhJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMO-nXrzMI

If you want it to sound better on the set you need to use better sound gear and someone trained to use it correctly.

When it comes to audio post if you send me a QT .dv stream or .mov I could extract the audio but it would have none of the things that actually make it worth sending it to me - OMF files that have handles and proper bit/sample rates, plus I would also want room-tones, wilds, etc.

Just curious; why don't you edit everything in FCP?

If you want it to sound better on the set you need to use better sound gear and someone trained to use it correctly.

I have a RODE VideoMic and a boom... that's not enough, isn't it? lol.

When it comes to audio post if you send me a QT .dv stream or .mov I could extract the audio

What's a QT .dv stream? I know what a .mov file is, though.

but it would have none of the things that actually make it worth sending it to me - OMF files that have handles and proper bit/sample rates, plus I would also want room-tones, wilds, etc.

:huh: Sorry, man. No idea what this means. I need simple words when it comes to techinical stuff until I get immersed in it.

Just curious; why don't you edit everything in FCP?

I'm not very good at it. I take a LONG TIME when I use FCP for my features. With iMovie, I can just edit my web series quickly and have my friends watch it immediately. Have some laughs.

When it comes to production sound microphones a Rode VideoMic is a tricycle. When you get up to the Rode NTG-2 or Audio Technica AT875 it's a Ford. The Audio-Technica BP4073 or Rode NTG-3 is an Infiniti or Mercedes. The Schoeps CMIT5U or Sennheiser MKH-70 are Rolls Royce.

I would suggest that you read my blog on production sound.

http://www.myspace.com/alcoveaudio/blog

OMF - "Standard audio/video format based on the Open Media Framework Interchange (OMFI), a standardized interchange file format; may be exported from digital video editing or audio workstation (DAW) software; commonly used to share project data between multiple applications.

An audio project saved in the OMF format can store multiple audio tracks, volume and pan information, and references to audio files."

In an OMF file sent to an audio editor there is a separate audio clip for each visual edit. These audio clips can be "stretched" so you can hear the audio before and after the corresponding visual - a handle.

In the simplest terms a .dv stream does not have to be "processed" as it is read, so is a much "smoother" visual to use with data processing intense programs like a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

When it comes to production sound microphones a Rode VideoMic is a tricycle. When you get up to the Rode NTG-2 or Audio Technica AT875 it's a Ford. The Audio-Technica BP4073 or Rode NTG-3 is an Infiniti or Mercedes. The Schoeps CMIT5U or Sennheiser MKH-70 are Rolls Royce.

When you put it like that, I understand completely. My mic is tricycle! LOL. Thanks. I will look to upgrade I have some dough.

What you're saying about OMF is somewhat understandable, but I'll have to do more research. I may come off as a little slow, but once I understand something, I take it further. At least I hope I do. Hahah.

Checking out your blog now. Thanks!

But I still need answers for this:

My question is, by using iMovie, am I getting the true 24p Canon HV20/30/40 delivers? Am I losing picture quality as well?

A detailed answer would be nice. I mean, I read somewhere about pulldowns and stuff as well. Don't get it.

Back