• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Im getting this shotgun mic, few quick questions.plz

Im going to get the Rode Video Mic for $150. I dont need anything too expensive, and I hear its great for the price. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html

Im looking at a couple boom poles to put the Rode on.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387889-REG/K_Tek_KE_79_KE_79_Aluminum_Boompole.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/319988-REG/K_Tek_KE_89CC_KE89CC_Aluminum_Boompole.html

I think im going to get the second one.

I got a few questions.

Can someone explain to me what an internal coiled cable is for? Because for $4 more I can get internal coiled.

Would the Rode be compatible with k-tek boom poles?

And what wires to do I get, to connect the boom to my camera?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Melon,

I believe "internal cable" just means that the mic cable is threaded through the inside of the boom pole. This has several advantages: it's easier for the boom op to grip the pole when s/he doesn't have to contend with the cable; plus, you have a lower chance of boom noise because the cable isn't subject to wind or bumping.

The question isn't whether the mic is compatible with the boom pole, but rather whether it's compatible with whatever shock mount you're using. The boom just has a standard threaded mount to which you can attach pretty much any shock mount. Some shock mounts are universal - they'll work with any microphone - and others are more specific.

For example, I have both Sennheiser and Audio Technica shotgun mics. I have a cheap shock mount that will hold either mic, but it isn't a very effective mount. My good mount works with the Sennheiser, but can't accommodate the AT because of its slightly larger diameter. Either mount will connect to my pole.

Actually, now that I've looked at the link for the Rode mic, it looks like it may be strictly a camera-mounted mic (though I could be wrong about that). If you want to mount it to a boom pole you might run into problems. Unless you intend to mount it on a camera most of the time, you might be better off looking at a regular shotgun.

Regarding connecting cables, if you're buying that boom it comes with a standard XLR cable built-in. I would buy at least 2 additional 20' lengths of XLR to have on hand.

If your camera doesn't have built-in XLR inputs you'll need to buy an adapter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You won't want to use that mic on the end of a boom. Since it's using a small 1/8th inch audio connector and integrated cord, rather than a nice long thick XLR you'll end up getting a noisy signal.

While it will cost more, you're definitely better off with a good shotgun mic that will let you use an XLR, which should work with either of the two linked boom polls.. and the reason it will cost you more, is that you'll also need to pick up a beachtek or similar adapter. I use the Beachtek DXA-2s with my Canon HV20.

The reason for this is that you'll be using a nice balanced signal between the mic and camera, which will cancel out any interference that would otherwise show up.

Back