• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ideal type of lightbulbs for low budget filming?

So I recently finish make a DIY light kit for either my own projects or just to help my friends when they are in need of some lighting for their films. I pretty much just use LED lights (specifically Cree ligh tbulbs.) Lately I''ve been told to pick up some CFL and Halogen bulbs to have more variety of hard light and soft life. I'm curious to know what are some ideal lightbulbs people have used either in past or present projects. To give you any idea of my kit, I pretty much have 2 - 800 halogen watt work lights and 3 clamp lights. I have various Cree LED bulbs: 6 100 watt bulbs (3 daylight and 3 soft white) 2 - 60watt bulbs (daylight and soft white) and 2 - 40 watt (daylight and softwhite)

I designed and built this (now painted white inside)
For hard or soft light, I simply pull up or down the curtain.

For a different color, I would add a gel in front.

IMG_20150603_013040.jpg

If you kept the flaps of the cardboard box, you would have had barn doors.

That's the beauty of this setup.. each piece is cheaply replaceable and upgradable. Doesn't cost much to get a new cardboard box. I wanted soft light for my last shoot and felt like barn doors would have gotten in the way of the diffusion.

A new cardboard box is almost half the budget for an indie production ;)

/wink

Only the price of gas. Lots of stores will give you cardboard boxes for free.
Walmart, office depot, etc. they just throw all that in their recycling.

I got mine from amazon prime ordering other stuff :P

Back