• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'd love some feedback!

Hey there,
I've been making a few short pieces for showing my composition style (they're not really long enough for much more than that intent) and I'd love to hear if some people have some opinions on my work. My link is
www.soundcloud.com/roblaidlowmusic and if you have an informed or uninformed opinion please let me know! Thanks very much
Rob

Music's not exactly my specialty, but I know what I look for when someone's scoring something for me, and I'll give you feedback based on that.

You have a very good sense for traditional orchestral arrangements. Unfortunately, this is inhibited by the software you'r using in that if sounds a bit "synth-y", and not in an 80's retro way so much as a "this was made in Garage Band" way. My suggestion there would be to either adapt a bit to either own the limitations of your equipment into your style, or acquire some more realistic tracks.

Secondly, the tracks sounds a bit 2-dimensional at parts. It had all the necessary components of a solid track, but stopped there. It feels like with a bit more subtle hints of other instruments and such augmenting the existing songs, it might really start to pop.

Now, I don't want to sound too scathing, I certainly enjoyed myself. As far as opinions go, though, there's mine.

Back