• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I want to do this effect!

I can't really explain it, but I want to make it look like what the audience is watching is being filmed at the time. So it has the red flasing REC dot in the top corner, the battery power level, and everything like that.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

I know there's an after effects plugin for this somewhere out there, but the name of the plugin escapes me at the moment.

As TeeSav said though, you could easily just mock up a display screen in photoshop and drop that over top of your video. If you can find your camera manual as a PDF, you should be able to open the page with the symbols in photoshop then copy & paste to create a new custom display.

In high school, I used Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and I know that Final Cut Pro has the same features. I had to do a scene where I pretended that my school's security cameras were catching me in action, so all I did was turn my footage black and white and used the included title maker. I chose which font looked very security-ish looking, picked a small enough font, put it in the bottom right corner, and it looked great.

As for the battery level, just as TeeSav said above, you can use Photoshop to design a battery level and set it against a clear background and place it on top of your video. But really, unless you want it to look really convincing, I think the REC in the corner of your video should suffice if you're just trying to get a point across.

Back