I just purchased....

So I just made my first ever camera purchase.

I decided to go with the Canon 500d t2i. I was going to save for a 7D but after seeing some footage that this little beast puts out.... Pfffft. I knew this is a camera that could do what I needed it to do. The price wasn't bad either. It's 899 @ best buy. Reason why I purchased there is because you can find a bunch of coupon online. If you search "coupon code best buy" searches will pop up. There's a 12% off coupon code that you can print out and take into the store. It's only good until the 11th of July. That lowered the price by about 100ish dollars. So for 799 it's a steal. Seriously. Especially because it comes with a 18-55mm lense.

Anyways I thought I would share my recent purchase. And also thought I would pass on the coupon code information to anyone who is on the cliff about buying one.

Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing. HA.

Welcome to the T2i club :P It's a brilliant camera, remember there is a small round push button next to the lens (not the one used to remove the lens) that when held down switches the click wheel to change aperture. Took me a week to cotton onto this and is an essential feature!

Don't join the 25fps bandwagon, you can get equally good footage in 720 mode at 60fps. Having the option to slow-mo in post is invaluable!

Zooms are tricky so you might want to think about that when buying your next lens, also pulling focus on the LCD soon becomes a pain. Im currently contemplating a monitor rig.

Beautiful picture quality though, isn't it? :yes:

Thanks guys for all the chatter.

I'm really looking forward to using this thing. I went out to take a few photos this evening on the way to the laundry mat. Beautiful images. I am pretty new when it comes to camera operation. I have my foot in the door with the writer/director gig. I never once operated a camera. So this is all new to me.

Nathan, thanks for those tips.

Here is a picture I took of my neighborhood in Queens. I have yet to mess with any video.

QueensNY.jpg

My understanding is that when it comers to video, the T2i and the 7D are identical. The only differences are in regards to still photography.

We just got a T2i at the studio too.

That shot looks amazing.

Nice purchase! Is it my first choice? Of course not? Can I afford my first choice? Not even close. For the money, it just can't be beat.

I'm shooting a full-length feature on it. We start shooting this coming Monday!

Good luck with yours.

Has anyone found a workaround for the video limit on the T2i?

When filming continuously there is a 12 minute limit (or so) before it has to stop recording and start again. Also i have found that sometimes during shooting it will randomly stop before the 12 minutes with a error.

Anyone found a practical workaround? The video limit will be a pain in the ass when doing freelance weddings etc.

I am aware of the need for a class 6+ SD card and took it into consideration when buying my SD.

Has anyone found a workaround for the video limit on the T2i?

When filming continuously there is a 12 minute limit (or so) before it has to stop recording and start again. Also i have found that sometimes during shooting it will randomly stop before the 12 minutes with a error.

Anyone found a practical workaround? The video limit will be a pain in the ass when doing freelance weddings etc.

I am aware of the need for a class 6+ SD card and took it into consideration when buying my SD.

I hate to say it, but I don't think this is the camera you want for weddings. There's the issue you mentioned. There's the potential overheating issue. What are you going to do about audio?

I don't know about you, but there are times, when I'm shooting something on the fly, when I really appreciate auto-focus. Sometimes shit is going down right now, and you don't have time to play with focus. Or exposure. So you do a quick switch to auto. On a decent prosumer HDV camera, this is quick-and-easy. On DSLR, it's not the same, not by stretch. First, you have to set it to auto, but then you have to press the trigger halfway down and let the camera do it's work. And you better hope nobody moves, because the focus will not adjust once you've hit record.

Plus, the average person who hires a videographer for a wedding doesn't know anything about what we're doing. They'll probably feel better if you show up with a camera that looks fancy. Not joking.

Thanks guys...

No, I haven't really decided on lenses. Still need to do my research.

I'm going to tinker for a while with this camera. I've spent all evening figuring out the best way (settings/etc.) to export from Premiere CS3. Baby steps.

nice work.

am i correct in observing that you either used the stock lens or got urself one prime?

i remember talking abt lenses with u in another thread when u had just purchased the camera.

did that info help u out?

im curious to know wat u did in the end.

Thanks Earns!

I used the stock lens. I don't have any other lenses except what came with the camera.

I didn't read all the comments in that thread to be honest. It got buried in the mix and my girlfriend's family came up to visit this weekend so we were out and about the entire time.

I just ended up taking the camera with us and tinkering around until I figured it out. All the settings were default settings.

:)

For your first test, it was better than most of the first tests ive seen.

Your def on the right track and soon as u learn more abt the dif lenses that compliment ur camera, im sure we'll c some amazing stuff from u!

Back