I have some money to spend.

Hello indietalk, this is my first post here as I have made the decision to start doing what I love, and hopefully make a great film out of it. I have a good idea, I have set experience (I work in the film business), and I have given myself a budget just for equipment.

$6000 Canadian

With this money, I'd like to:

1) Have a Camera that looks good if we're assuming it played in theaters. I've been reading about the Panasonic AG-HVX200a, for example.

2) A camera that supports an external mic, and will sound good, not just good, industry standard good. I'll drop the money on the mic. To me, perfect sound is more important than picture, but picture definitely needs to be good enough.

3)I'm not shooting Gone With The Wind, it's a pot boiler, dramatic heavy dialog story. No one gets into a gunfight, probably a handful of locations, lets put it that way.

4) I need 2 TB external HD's for my computer, and I need an editing suite. POSSIBLY more ram (all this is small potatoes)

I don't mind going a bit over budget, but basically my question is this.

For about 3000-3500$, what would be the best HD Camera I could buy? I was in love with the Canon XH-A1 for a while but I don't really like that it saves to cassettes, it feels like a dead technology.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great (sorry for not using a search function).

Question, what is your goal as a film maker? If your goal is to make a film, why are you buying gear? Of course if your goal is building a career as a DoP, then that makes sense.

But if it's to make this film, AND you work in the biz, seems to make more sense to spend the budget on the film and work with contacts who have equipment, no?

I'd agree with if you your goal is to make a film (not be a DP), I'd spend that money to hire a DP (with gear) and hire a soundman (with gear), and hire an editor (with gear) rather than buy the gear.

I've made two shorts, one for about $7000, one for about $5000, and I don't even own a consumer handycam.

Good camera, Good Microphone, Some cheap but functional lights... I'm a HUGE proponent of owning your own equipment... I've made a dozen productions for about the same price as the two mentioned above... that cost was for the first few only, the rest of the budget is now spent on catering and tapestock as I don't have the overhead of equipment rental... and each now cost around $200-500.

If you're not technically inclined, it's ok as you'll be able to find someone who is, but doesn't have access to equipment... given that access, you can get some really good results.

If you're not technically inclined, it's ok as you'll be able to find someone who is, but doesn't have access to equipment... given that access, you can get some really good results.

I imagine that works equally well; don't see that setup often around here though. I guess it partly depends on what sort of access can be gained through any sort of existing contacts. In the low=no budget world you can often negotiate something and/or trade favors with owner/operator types. Straight rental fees though, yeah that can definitely add up. I guess my experience with directors that choose/operate equipment hasn't been all that positive, so I am biased. ;)

I'm sure there are just as many out there that make it work.

I'd agree pluses and minuses both ways.

The only staright rental I do is lights. I hire a DP who owns a camera, hire a soundan who owns a boom and a recorder, etc... They know their gear, they know it's good and bad points, know how to operate it well, etc...

Getting a DP who owns gear means that they have made the substantial investment and should want to get paid to offset that cost and cover replacement should anything happen to their gear on your shoot...

On the other hand, having your own gear can help folks get moving ahead in their abilities who wouldn't otherwise be able to do so... you'll often get a harder worker due to the fact that they are being given the opportunity that they wouldn't have had.

Back