• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How's my editing skill so far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=222p6pALaUY&feature=youtu.be

Before I look further to send it off for all the audio to be corrected, and for some music and color grading/correction, I was wondering if you had any input on my video editing. Youtube wouldn't upload the sound for some reason, but since it's video editing, that's okay. The audio is much more technical and I'm looking to have it cleaned up soon. Video I found easy since you just slap the cuts together most of the time, but did I do it okay?

The first two scenes are flashbacks going back and forth, so there is no confusion in the jarring cuts, which is intended. The middle scene with the guy and the girl in the living room, I didn't do so well on, and is my biggest regret. But I tried it edit it in order to make it the best it could be. My friends disagree and say that's the best scene, but I thought it could have used more camera movement. It's not the whole movie but a section with a few scenes, so any tips? Thanks.

Can I suggest that you post the script or wait for the audio? It's a little hard to critique without a perspective of what you're trying to achieve. I don't lip read well.

The quick cutting as you did can work for one kind of conversation but be completely wrong for another.

From first, quick glance, the action scenes look like you lacked footage to edit them properly but without proper sound, foley and music, its hard for me to tell if you got the right pace.

Okay thanks. Well I am hoping to get this thing scored right away, so I will keep this edit I think, cause I need to get it over with sometime. There were a couple of sections of the fight, where I lacked footage, and some of it I felt I had too much footage and just had to make a decision as to what's best. But thanks. I think I will go with this one as Knightly says, it's time to move on, and I don't know what else I can improve in the edit anymore.

Back