• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to????

Hello Yall,

I was wondering how to do something. I want to try to achieve this photography technique (I know this is a filmmakers forum but I think someone could still help me) that is like a sports shot. Some of you may have seem before some sports shots of a team and the team is all lit by like a spotlight or something and the background is a pitch black type of thing. I was wondering how to achieve that. I do have access to a lighting kit, but I may have to buy some clamps and stuff but I want to do the same type of shot but in action of one of the players dunking or doing a layup. I could use some help!

sicover_111708_sooners.jpg

Something like this

Last edited:
Photoshop would be one way to go. No matter what you'll want to do some post processing.

But really I would bet that the shot you posted way almost entirely achieved in-camera. The key is to make the court totally dark except for your photography lights. You'll need to flag or focus the lights so you don't get spill onto areas you don't want lit. And then expose only to those lights, so the background is nearly or totally dark. The separation look comes from good hair-lights.

As it's for a stills rather than motion shoot, this should be relatively easy to achieve with a couple of off-camera flashguns.

You can tell from the shadows on the floor that there are two hard lights behind the players, one on either side, and I would guess a softer source from over the lens.

With a short shutter speed and lights in close enough proximity you'll be able to underexpose the ambient light in the background (and can always pull it darker with post-processing).

The Strobist is a great place to learn the basics (and beyond) of how to light with flash and what to buy.

Back