• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera How to match cameras ???

Hello everyone

I am trying to do some video, I have a few canon cameras a XA10, T5i and a T6 ( T5i & T6 have kit lens 18-55 )
to match the T5i and T6 is pretty easy, I am having a hard time to match the DSLR to the XA10
I set them all to 24FPS the DSLR 1/50 of a second and the XA10 1/48 of a second
and the aperture at 4.5-5.0 The DSLR i have it set to ISO 1600, but the XA10 works with Gain
and to have it look close to the DSLR i have to bring up the Gain and it looks like crap
they both kind look like crap all grainy, i know that is because the ISO is to high
I here a rule of thumb is to set your speed double your frame rate, i guess that is why i need my ISO so high
I also have a Luxi for all with the Cine Meter app and i have a color checker too

Is there is a easy way to get them all to mach ??
Thanks

In short, yes and no. Different cameras have different looks due to the differences in sensors. In the film days, different cameras could run the same film through them. This is no longer the case. Different sensors produce different looks, period.

The fact that you're in the Canon family of cameras might help, but the XA10 is a distinctly different camera from the T5i and T6. On recording, it is unlikely you will be able to get the camera's to match. You want to match them in color grading. Try to keep to similar frame rates and aperture settings to help you, but it will be in post, when you are grading that you will get them to look similar.

BTW, from what I've seen, most people won't detect the difference if they are watching interesting material / a well-told story. However, to my eye, even with good grading I can always see the differences in different cameras used to shoot a project. These days, I'll rent the same cameras rather than try to match in post.

I guess that's all i can do, i did not think it would have made that much of a difference, i figured all Canons it would be pretty close
I still don't like how its all grainy, if i bring the ISO and gain down i have to bring the speed up
everything i have read they all say to keep it around 1/50 for 24FPS

Any suggestions ??

Unlike DSLRs, digital video cameras have something called a base ISO. It is the natural ISO or light sensitivity of the sensor. I've used the XA10 (and I really liked it), but don't know what the base ISO is. If I had to guess I'd say 400 ISO.

The camera operates best at its base ISO. If possible, you want to set the gain for the XA10 to 0 db or no gain. The tradeoff is you are going to have to light your scene. Where the still cameras (T5i and T6) will look just fine in lower light, the XA10 will not. If you HAVE to increase the gain, you will get noise. There is no way around it. However, once again, in post there are techniques and software to denoise your image.

Last edited:
Use a colour chart. Won’t be perfect, but it should help get you in the ballpark.

the SLRs have much larger sensors, so you might need to back the XA10 back and zoom in to get closer in terms of depth of field.

Lastly, there are inherent limitations in some cameras and so unless it’s fleeting shots (like a crash cam, for example), you generally have to match your better cameras to your ‘worst’ camera - not the other way around. You can grade out colour depth in better cameras for example, but you can’t grade in colour depth on a worse camera.

What would you consider the worst ??
I found a video on youtube showing how on guy did it with 3D lut creator

What would you think the most important setting to match ?? Speed or apature ?? The gain and iso i want to set as low as possible

Thanks

Back