• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How To Make The Sin City Effect?

I just recently saw the movie, and I absolutly loved. The only thing is I dont know how they did it, besides the fact they used greenscreen. So how is the black and white shots with a litttle splash of color done? Also, how is the shots done that are pure black and pure white, that almost makes it look like a true comic? (Hopefully you guys understand what im trying to say.) Oh yeah one more question how did they create those backgrounds, and how hard is it to achieve those amazing looking backgrounds?

1) The single colored scenes are created with a "secondary color corrector." Basically it lets you select a range of color and then you can desaturate everything else (leaving all red for instance etc).

2) Haven't seen the movie, can't tell ya :)

3) The backgrounds are CG

4) Lots of work if you know what you are doing. Impossible if you don't.

Geez, Shaw! Go see Sin City Already!! :D

...okay, now if I remember correctly, there is an effect in Final Cut that turns everything negative and b&w.
Now I don't know special effects, but...since it is possible to cut things out and key them through a DVE, couldn't you do something like duplicate the scene, make one negative, cut out your subject and put the subject over the negative? Like an effect? ....what do I know? Don't know special effects....

I make this suggestion in lieu of having alot of expensive equipment...

--spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Ladies and Gents, It's actually called a colour pass effect. It's where you select a colour which the computer picks up on and then only allows that colour to be viewed on the video, hence turning the rest black and white. The best packaged I've found that works with this is Adobe After Effects, but I'm sure there's others that do it just as well, premiere, shake, fcp, media 100 blah de blah de blah... It works best if you do a correct levels to make sure there's seperation and it's best if you shoot the film with really start colour definition... for example if you just want a girl in a red coat (schindlers list) in the mids of a black and white scene, the red of the coat is the only red you have in the scene, and then in post you do the colour pass. fun fun fun.

I know they used Digital Fusion from Eyeon to do the effect for Sin City.
That program is AWESOME!!! I would switch from Combustion to DF in a second... that is if:

a) someone gives it to me
b) I get funding for this movie and I spend the $5000 for it
c) Eyeon USA decides to invest in the film and give's us a copy

Back