directing How to make a 3 minutes short film?

Hello, I have a 3 pages screenplay and i would like to make it a movie. I've never made any movie. Can I pay a small production company to borrow their camera and direct it? Or where can I send it so they will make it a good movie not an armature one?

It depends on your budget whether what you're asking is feasible, and on the script. You can rent a camera from rental outfits. If you are just looking to try and direct it yourself, I think you might be better off simply purchasing an iphone 12 with some stabilization gear. A gopro black with a gimbal can work well for a very small production.

You have several options:

You can borrow or rent a camera and direct it yourself. The difference between
an amateur film and a "good one" is always experience. Do you feel you have
the experience to direct and shoot a good 3 minute short film? Have you thought
about sound and lighting and locations and actors? What about budget?

Is there a university that has a film department near you? Maybe a student film
maker can make a good movie with your screenplay.

You could find a small production company and hire them to make the movie.

You could put together your own team by finding a person with a camera, someone
with audio gear and actors so you aren't doing everything all alone.

I've thought all these and this is why I don't really want to direct it. I have no experience at all.
I can think all the scenes in my head and my ideal situation would be to be next to an experience director to tell them my suggestions and learn from them.
The truth is I'm disappointed from the big majority of short films I watch on Youtube, from the other hand I'm worse in directing, so I don't know what to do. I guess I need to pay a good production company? I want to see my script becoming a proper movie.

These are 2 examples of short films I like a lot. Not only the pro image and sound and acting but also the story:

I want the director to think like me so they fit to my script. Could I start contacting the creators of the shorts I like to ask them whether they like my script to make it a movie?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have stage fright. All first directors do. You need to jump in and do it. It's already in your head how you want it to turn out. So you need a good team to help you realize it. Have a meeting with a DP. See if they share your vision. Don't show hesitation be confident. If you show you have reservations or jitters you may lose control of your own production. Just do it and stand by your decisions, but work with a team with that wants to help with your vision but also knows you are the one in control. It will turn out great!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you want it shot in Greece with Greek actors?

Or are you more concerned with having it produced, and would be OK with adding sub-titles in Greek?
I don't have a budget in mind, I would like to sell it to the director for 0$, which is give it for free and let him use it as they want. I only want credits. I see it like giving them an idea for their next movie, if they find it interesting.
I don't mind at all about the country and Language...
Sounds like you have stage fright. All first directors do. You need to jump in and do it. It's already in your head how you want it to turn out. So you need a good team to help you realize it. Have a meeting with a DP. See if they share your vision. Don't show hesitation be confident. If you show you have reservations or jitters you may lose control of your own production. Just do it and stand by your decisions, but work with a team with that wants to help with your vision but also knows you are the one in control. It will turn out great!
...I just change my mind and I want to jump in and do it. I didn't know what is a DP. I thing this is exactly what I need.

DP = Director of Photography, Cinematographer. This must be a strong partnership. You will work the closest with this person creatively. You will both have a vision and they must come together as one. You may also want to think of the editing style now so you can find the right editor but also to let the DP know the style. Hire an AD (Assistant Director) to help keep your set in order and on time. Don't look to them creatively this is not their job. Be the director, and do your thing! Good luck!

DP = Director of Photography, Cinematographer. This must be a strong partnership. You will work the closest with this person creatively. You will both have a vision and they must come together as one. You may also want to think of the editing style now so you can find the right editor but also to let the DP know the style. Hire an AD (Assistant Director) to help keep your set in order and on time. Don't look to them creatively this is not their job. Be the director, and do your thing! Good luck!
Valuable advises! Thank you! 🤩

There's good advice in the whole thread. I'm just being the one to say do it. But if you want a writing credit you could let someone direct it that is looking for a script. The problem there is you lose creative control and you said you could picture all the scenes. That's why I say direct it. Depends on what you want! :)

Back