• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

How To Get Your Film Into Your Favorite Festival

Hello,

This is Noel Lawrence. I have been a film festival programmer and curator for more than 10 years. Currently, I program the Anarchy section at the Slamdance Film Festival in Park City, UT. I also know many other programmers and how they tick.

If you are planning to launch your film on the festival circuit, the seminar is for you. I provide an insider’s view of how film festivals select films and how you can increase your chances of getting them to screen your work. I also will explain how to maximize your exposure after you are selected.

You can sign up here: http://filmfestivals101-eac2.eventbrite.com/

Below is a description of my seminar. I wish it had existed when I first started getting those rejection letters in the 90s…

FILM FESTIVALS 101: “MY BUDDY WENT TO CANNES AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT”

So you submit your film to Sundance, it wins the grand jury prize, and you become a famous director. Not! On the other hand, don’t be a playa-hater. You don’t have to be an insider at CAA to showcase your film at a prestige venue.

Even with the advent of YouTube and other distribution platforms, film festivals can raise your directorial profile dramatically, lead to career-making opportunities, or at least provide nice vacations in Europe.

This four-hour seminar covers these topics and more:

• Determining your goals for screening at festivals.
• Assembling a realistic list of target festivals.
• How to build relationships with festival programmers without looking like a stalker.
• How to make your film festival application stand out from other applications.
• How to maximize audience exposure to your film at a festival and how to leverage it.
• PR: Before, during, and after a festival.
• How to network at festivals.
• Budgeting: before and during exhibition on the festival circuit.
• Leveraging exhibition by one festival to get into other festivals.
• Pet peeves of programmers that may result in instant rejection of your film.
• Online vs. DVD submissions: Do they matter?
• The impact of production value and stylization in programming decisions.
• The limitations of the festival circuit. How far can you go?
• Film Festival Etiquette: You and your film will come and go, the festival staff will not.
• Nepotism: myth and reality.

NOTE: I am a programmer at a prestige festival. However, attending this seminar in no way gives you favored access to myself or other programmers. In fact, I probably will recuse myself if I am asked to evaluate your film in an official capacity. This seminar is no way associated with Slamdance or any other festival. I provide the seminar for informational purposes only.

Back