• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to Get the Best Quality Out of Your Video

I have trouble getting the best quality out of my video. It looks great on camera, great while editing but by the time I upload it online or export it, it looses a touch. I know this all has to do with what you shoot with, what corrections you make in post to the image, how you export it, and where you are uploading it, but I have had trouble finding a good guide on the guidelines and rules I should be using to keep quality up.

Does anyone have a good guide or book they could point me too? I want to be able to think about the process as a whole. To understand why I shoot in a certain format and what the means for editing in post.

I know this is a broad one, if you know where to point me or got some tips, it's much appreciated. Thanks!

Youtube.com
Mixinglight.com

The second is a paid for site for color grading. At best guess, I'd suggest you first learn the technical side of video. Bitrates, codecs, color depth and so on. This will get you most of the way to answering these kinds of questions.

While you're probably only thinking of this as an editor, lessons from color graders can help you understand loss of data over multiple generations and what you can do to avoid and/or minimize these issues.

Since your problems are rather vague, there's not a lot I can do to help you. Perhaps you have an issue with a step within your process, or your source material isn't as great as you believe or you're not compensating enough for a step outside your control.

To understand why I shoot in a certain format and what the means for editing in post

What do you mean by this? Differences between raw vs Intermediate codecs vs Long GOP codecs? If so, GIYF. Afterwards, come back with more specific questions.

Sweetie - Thanks for the response. I have a ton to learn on the subject so I appreciate the guidance. I am going to start digging into bitrates, codecs, and color depth so I can ask the right questions here.

Back