• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to burn a large file to dvd

If it's just for a backup, you can zip the project, then use "split", which is a command line tool, to split the zip file into parts of a specific size. Burn the parts to multiple DVDs and if you ever need to bring the project back, you'd just "cat" the parts together and unzip.

Now, that's how I would do it, but there are backup tools that will do it all for you. My problem with backup tools is that they often use proprietary methods and if you don't have the tool available, you can't restore the backup. My method uses standard tools that are available on any OS X or Un*x machine.

I suppose that now you're going to tell me you're on Windows! You can get these tools for Windows, but they aren't native. You may find the Microsoft backup utility will work. Hopefully, for your sake, you're not using MS Windows.

Most DVDs hold 4.7gig. A Dual layer DVD generally holds about 8.5gig

From your description it sounds like you're trying to burn a long video to DVD. Something "over an hour" shouldn't necessarily be over 8gig though. You should be able to fit 2 hours of video onto a standard DVD-5 (4.7gig blank) without any trouble.

It sounds like your bit rate settings may be exceptionally high, or perhaps you are using uncompressed audio. To help you better I would need more information about your situation. ;)

I assumed he was trying to make a backup of the project files. If he's trying to make a playable DVD, he may not realize it has to be encoded to MPEG2. Even with uncompressed audio, you could get an hour on a 4.7GB DVD. The highest bit rate the MPEG2 encoder will allow for the video is 8Mbps which is about 2.9GB/hour. 16 bit stereo audio @ 48Khz adds about 660MB.

On the other hand, since miniDV is 13.5GB/hour, I don't know what format would be 8GB/hour. :(

Back