How to Best Export Video

I can't seem to get consistent results (picture quality) when I try to export an edited video. I'm using Windows Movie Maker - I know most of the people on here use higher end software, and I'd love to but my current computer won't run anything else. So for the time being, I've been doing my best to squeeze blood from the stone that is low end software. I've been able to get a lot of mileage out of the movie maker program, but I can't figure out how to export the video to get the highest quality. It seems like sometimes the 720 setting is higher quality than the 1080 setting, and sometimes it's not. Is there an art form behind deciding what settings to use, or is there one setting that will consistently give you the best results?

Thanks in advance.

I actually have the same question. I just bought a rebel t2i a couple days ago and anytime i watch a video i made thru windows movie maker the quality is garbage. I plan on upgrading to a better program soon, i just didn't know if it was the program causing the problem or the uploading/exporting.

Back